A&H

Ref pushed in UEFA cup

deusex

RefChat Addict

As bad as the ref was, this should receive an 8 match ban.
Be interesting to see what happens

The Referee Store
The ref had turned his back and didn't see the incident so, he can only assume what happened despite having felt it. And we all know, it's not a good idea to report something we didn't see properly. His 4th or AR or AAR may have seen it and they can write the misconduct instead.

DISCLAIMER: Tongue firmly in cheek.

MOD EDIT - Please do all take this in the tone it is intended! Proactive modding ;)

8 match? 1 year at least. Need to get tough in this sort of thing.
But when manhandling is tolerated, what do you expect?

I've only seen one highlights clips crying 'conspiracy' - but from that clip, the referee seemed to get the major decisions right. all red cards and the penalty were correct. The AR's were both appalling though.

Last edited:
the penalty wasn't correct! What are you watching?? His hands are down, the ball is blasted at him and to make matters worse he's given him a second yellow FFS.

And then is that a straight red for the tackle? A dead cert yellow, but never a red

3 minutes on this -

Mmm, you might be right on the penalty. On first viewing I didn't think it hit his arms until he was fully to the side (ie arms in front of the body), now I'm thinking it his his arms while still in front of his torso.
As for the second yellow - probably should have been a straight red. DOGSO.
Glad to see the keeper get booked for dissent.

And how isn't that tackle a red? It was a vicious attempt to kick his calf muscle, a deliberate attempt to cause serious injury.

What minute is the straight red on that vid?
The handball/penalty/caution decision is astonishing.
The player literally ticked non of the boxes to penalise him.
Hand unnatural - nope, Long distance form kicker - nope, time to react - nope.
Whilst a red card would have been amazingly harsh it would have made more sense than the caution. What are you cautioning him for? No caution is required in 99.9% of defender handballs in the box. No defender ever decided to break up a promising attack by giving away a penalty!!

Straight red is about 5:50

A red card wouldn't have been 'harsh'. If the PK is given and there's an OGSO, then the red must be given. Having given the foul it looks to me like it needed the red. A DOGSO free kick incorrectly awarded resulting in a yellow card is 2 wrong decisions. a DOGSO FK incorrectly awarded with a red card is only 1 wrong decision. I think the referee thought, perhaps, that the ball struck the arms that were in front of him when he was fully side-on. In that case it would be more arguably correct.

And don't forget, the DHB only needs to deny possession for a corner. It happens. Jump and punch it away, fall on the ground and slap it away/grab it in protest with an opponent about to take the ball, etc.

Mmm, you might be right on the penalty. On first viewing I didn't think it hit his arms until he was fully to the side (ie arms in front of the body), now I'm thinking it his his arms while still in front of his torso.
As for the second yellow - probably should have been a straight red. DOGSO.
Glad to see the keeper get booked for dissent.

And how isn't that tackle a red? It was a vicious attempt to kick his calf muscle, a deliberate attempt to cause serious injury.
The keepers dissent is a strange one - the referee stood there, let the dissent happen for a good few seconds, then pulled the card out. Absolutely no attempt to warn him, try and get him to stop, or tell him he's pushing his luck too far. Unless the keeper's been in his ear all match so far and this is the final straw, I think that's a very strange reaction. Surely it's more normal to give a warning before getting the cards out for dissent?

I think the penalty is a bad call too, the defender is trying to move out the way, has his arms tucked in as close as he can get them, and has fractions of a second to react to the shot coming at him. Given that he's entitled to stand there and attempt to block a shot, I don't know what more he can do to try and avoid handball? Having given a penalty (implying he believes the handball to be deliberate), anything less than a straight red card has to be wrong? That ball's going in the goal unless he's there to block it, so it must be either DOGSO or entirely accidental.

Absolutely agree with the straight red though, the ball is so far away that he's clearly only interested in hurting the player, and the fact it's a kick rather than a trip is enough to escalate it from a yellow to red for me.

To be fair though, if somebody runs up and wags their finger in your face....well, why isn't that immediately a card? That was probably the referee's approach.
There's a delay though, which suggests that there was a certain amount of wagging that pushed the referee over the edge. It wasn't wag --> card (in which case, I'd absolutely agree with you), it was wag --> talk --> wag --> talk --> wag --> card - all with not a word from the referee. Maybe it's just my style, but I've never issued a card without saying a word to the player!

If wagging a finger in my face is unacceptable, I'm getting the cards out straight away, cautioning him and daring him to keep going. If wagging a finger once is OK but 3 times isn't, I'm telling the player to back off after the first time and then cautioning him if he refuses to stop. Neither of those approaches seem to be what this referee did.

I agree. Poor penalty decision. 100% correct red for violent conduct - no attempt to play the ball just kicked the player.

Anyone wags a finger in my face, it's getting bitten off. :D

Back