A&H

Red, yellow (or no card?)

RefJef

RefChat Addict
Scenario: Blu v white, blue attacking. ”Soft” foul by white on blue in attacking third, near touch line. Quite a few bodies around the free kick site, so I’m heading over to manage a ceremonial fk (chance for quick fk has passed). White is retreating, with his back to the ball, blue throws ball - not with any real force - at white, hitting him on the back. White doesn’t react and continues to retreat and take up his position.

What do you give? Yellow, red, or perhaps no card?

The Referee Store
I had a somewhat similar scenario, of a player giving the ball back for a ceremonial FK, throwing the ball right at the player. It wasn't using excessive force, but was definitely out of aggression, so I booked him for aggressive attitude.

I guess it comes down to whether you thought there was excessive force or violent conduct (I would say not in your case), and also the expectations of players and technical staff

As I picture what you described, I’m cautioning. There is no reason whatsoever for the behavior, which could cause a fracas. But if it wasn’t with force, I don’t think a send off is necessary. (Though not much would have to change in the scenario for me to get to VC.)

Offences where an object (or the ball) is thrown

In all cases, the referee takes the appropriate disciplinary action:

reckless – caution the offender for unsporting behaviour

using excessive force – send off the offender for violent conduct

Offences where an object (or the ball) is thrown

In all cases, the referee takes the appropriate disciplinary action:

reckless – caution the offender for unsporting behaviour

using excessive force – send off the offender for violent conduct
According to this law, a caution for the OP scenario might be considered incorrect due to the absence of recklessness.

However, I would still caution for unsporting behaviour. Gotta love IFAB for creating needlessly complicated laws.

blue throws ball - not with any real force - at white, hitting him on the back.
One of those I would look at in the context of the whole game. If this is in the 90th minute with it being the only incident worthy of a sanction consideration then a stern public warning would do especially that you said no reaction from white player.

On the other end of the scale if midway through second half of a very heated game with multiple sanctions, and I have had precedent on players keeping quiet on incidents to hide the fact that they would retaliate later, and I am reasonably certain this is going to lead to loss of control, I would certainly see this as excusive force, brutality for VC.

But with not too much context given from the rest of the game, somewhere in the middle which is a caution sounds right.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments so far (feel free to keep them coming)

This incident was about midway through first half. One yellow before this (also to blue) for a reckless tackle (was considering whether it was careless or reckless, but player talked himself further into the hole, thus helping me make up my mind). Hadn’t been a particularly heated game, was somewhat unexpected and bizarre. Didn’t feel like a red, so didn’t go red, but one of those decisions I still find myself pondering after the game,

With hindsight, the game did start to deteriorate- not necessarily because of this - blues were just whiny and moany. As someone remarked to me afterwards, they were complaining even when the decisions were going their way. My afternoon improved when I sent a player to the bin, probably could have used this 5 mins earlier

. My afternoon improved when I sent a player to the bin, probably could have used this 5 mins earlier
Same for me in midweek. Managed 1 too many and when I hit the bin it sorted out my issues.

OP is a tough one... I'm trying to imagine a world where a player throws an object, it the ball, at an opponent whilst ball out of play for their own restart and I don't consider this as unsporting or delaying the restart of play.

Back