A&H

red card offinabus story from another referee

Had referees the clubs dealt with it appropriately the issue would not have escalated in the way it did, with no football allowed there for a protracted period.
It is the responsibility of the clubs to ensure their players behave in a way that falls in line with their lease.
Swearing is not an offence in LOTG. So if teams are using swear words but not in an offinabus way the referee does not need to act but the club could still be turfed off.
This is not on the referees I am afraid but on the clubs that were booted off.

A&H International
Swearing is not an offence in LOTG. So if teams are using swear words but not in an offinabus way the referee does not need to act but the club could still be turfed off.
I can agree with this, and would add context is key.

Compare OP:

“The referee is a f***** u****** t*** “

with instead a player going up to a team mate who missed a sitter and says

“Hey johnny you are a “f***** u****** t*** “

Identical swear words, different context, one is a red card, one is not.

Aside - I do however have a differing view with youth games, perhaps it is the father in me trying to parent. I do warn them that if they continue to swear I will be sanctioning them (yellow for showing lack of respect for the game). I accept that makes me an inconsistent referee as it is a different logic to that I would apply to adults.

with instead a player going up to a team mate who missed a sitter and says

“Hey johnny you are a “f***** u****** t*** “

This one depends on how it is said. The fact it is said to a teammate doesn't mean it is inherently not OFFINABUS, but I think you are talking about it as a good natured jibe, not screaming in his face.

This one depends on how it is said. The fact it is said to a teammate doesn't mean it is inherently not OFFINABUS, but I think you are talking about it as a good natured jibe, not screaming in his face.
I did mean it as a jibe yes, but if it was said with anger, he went running up to his teammate to confront him and screamed it at him nose to nose, then that is a different context.

Still not sure I would give a red for offinabus with those words even with that context. Probably more looking to see if it was getting close to VC, but now I am off in a hypothetical tangent!

The neighbours complained to the police and the local authority because every Sunday morning included unacceptable language from over their back fence.
Had referees dealt with it appropriately the issue would not have escalated in the way it did, with no football allowed there for a protracted period.
My local Step 5/6 league has reminded match officials and observers about the need to deal with O/I/A language, with observers able to reduce the mark if a suitable approach is not evident.
As club marks are less important than previously that aspect becomes less of a disincentive to referees to act.
Although most players swear, some words are less acceptable than others in public places, and the stepped approach works well (warn, final warning with captain if apposite, dismiss)
Our CFA said it’s ou discretion but those doing OA remember it’s adults basically if it’s not at you or another player unless it’s excessive just leave it.

I am not surprised by these comments, as O/I/A language is rife in grass roots football now, and as many of you are indicating you choose not to apply law.
Again, I am not talking about low level swearing, but language which would be unacceptable in a social context away from football.

To throw out something I regularly notice.
When I ref underage games on a Saturday, bad language is rife, but when I do schools games, it is rare.
Goes to show that players can generally control themselves but choose not to.

Back