A&H

Red Card For Coach/Physio

MJN

Hi all,

Just after some advice in the correct way to manage the 2 scenarios below, in particular with grassroots/park football in mind.

1st Scenario - If there is a dedicated physio/first aider who has committed a red card offense, firstly - can the individual be issued a red card in line with normal protocal? Secondly - if they are the only physio/first aider I assume they need to remain pitch side to administer treatment if required?

2nd Scenario - Adult team, only 1 coach/manager present who is also the teams first aider. commits a red card offense and is sent off. Does the same apply as above? Can remain pitch side but only in the capacity of physio? How would you manage this individual if they continue to give instructions to the player on field, try to manage substitutions etc?

Thanks in advance!

The Referee Store
Hi all,

Just after some advice in the correct way to manage the 2 scenarios below, in particular with grassroots/park football in mind.

1st Scenario - If there is a dedicated physio/first aider who has committed a red card offense, firstly - can the individual be issued a red card in line with normal protocal? Secondly - if they are the only physio/first aider I assume they need to remain pitch side to administer treatment if required?

2nd Scenario - Adult team, only 1 coach/manager present who is also the teams first aider. commits a red card offense and is sent off. Does the same apply as above? Can remain pitch side but only in the capacity of physio? How would you manage this individual if they continue to give instructions to the player on field, try to manage substitutions etc?

Thanks in advance!
In both cases, tell the individual they are being sent off, and only allowed to stay pitchside as they are the only 1st. Aider.
In the second case, if there is no other responsible adult with the team, the person can manage substitutions but no coaching. If they continue, remind or abandon as appropriate (consider the match situation if abandoning)

Reactions: MJN
I was told on my course that you could ask the opposition's physio if they're willing to administer treatment or abandon. I can't see allowing the sent off person to remain pitch side causing anything but problems.

Secondly - if they are the only physio/first aider I assume they need to remain pitch side to administer treatment if required?
I remember first learning LOTG that this was the only instance when somebody could be given a red card but not actually sent off. Tough situation.

Agree with @Tom_R above. It's a good idea and something to keep in mind in situations like this.

Sorry @Tom_R but it's really not a great idea and I think we need to be Clear on what the competition rules are for physios.

for example, some leagues do allow for a physio to be physio for both sides, however, as you move up you will find that each team MUST have a named physio for that team.

Why is it a bad idea you ask? For one, what if their is a player collision of heads between opposition, and then the physio has to choose who to treat first.
Two players injured, who gets treatment?

I'd argue that anyone acting in a physio capacity should never be removed, and a very clear stall set out about the conditions that the game will be continued under, and if those conditions are breached further reports made and game abandoned.

In both cases, tell the individual they are being sent off, and only allowed to stay pitchside as they are the only 1st. Aider.
In the second case, if there is no other responsible adult with the team, the person can manage substitutions but no coaching. If they continue, remind or abandon as appropriate (consider the match situation if abandoning)
Agreed, once you have identified that he is the only 1st aider/responsible individual you need to warn him that he is staying only to fulfil that role. Any further misconduct will be dealt with as a extraordinary report. If they don't agree to this or continue to cause problems - abandon, and report them for the abandonment.

Sorry @Tom_R but it's really not a great idea and I think we need to be Clear on what the competition rules are for physios.

for example, some leagues do allow for a physio to be physio for both sides, however, as you move up you will find that each team MUST have a named physio for that team.

Why is it a bad idea you ask? For one, what if their is a player collision of heads between opposition, and then the physio has to choose who to treat first.
Two players injured, who gets treatment?

I'd argue that anyone acting in a physio capacity should never be removed, and a very clear stall set out about the conditions that the game will be continued under, and if those conditions are breached further reports made and game abandoned.
Great points, James. Thanks for coming in here with this.

Safe, fair, fun. In that order!

Back