A&H

Recoding Substitutions

because a referee needs an a4 size notebook to record them unless they are not doing tbe proper substitution procedure
and coaches can break up the game every 2 minutes
1) Who is the game for? referees or players?
2) You don't need to record every single sub. Once you've recorded that a sub has come on (to verify they got game time) the rest are redundant. Fortunately everywhere I've refereed, we didn't even need to record if a sub got used.

Rollings subs is about players, particularly in lower grades. It allowed frequent changes for players who may not have a lot of fitness, teams who may be very short on players - and especially in youth games makes it easier to keep bench time equitable (heck, even in adult games it allows the subs to get more game time). Can help protect players from injury as managers don't need players to force themselves through an injury when it's easy to get them off. Rolling subs is a great idea, especially for lower leagues. It just helps to make the game more accessible. The fact that you may find it a very minor inconvenience is not relevant - the game is about the players, not you.

The Referee Store
oh boy have you read the substitutiion procedure i suppose if you are standing in the centre circle doing nothing a substitution is easy

In australia we just record the numbers at events, not the names. So I'd have 4 columns in my notebook where I put the subs. It would look like

2 | 34 | 7 | 18
2nd half, 34th minute, 7 off 8 on. Easy.

I ended up using write-on card which has a section for this bit anyway.
Fortunately we didn't have to bother recording if subs were used in games with unlimited subs.

If i had the numbers of the subs beforehand, I'd prefill that data
I do the same except that I have rows and there are 3 of them only. I use the 24hr format for time to avoid the need for recording am/pm :)

oh boy have you read the substitutiion procedure i suppose if you are standing in the centre circle doing nothing a substitution is easy
But the problem you have here isn't with roll-on-roll-off subs, it's with the expectations that the substitution procedure places on a lone referee in that situation. It's these requirements that need changing, not the roll-on-roll-off concept.

you may be right graemeS but i am a dinosaur, old school starting no 1, to 11 that type of thing. so a bit of tweaking is worth investigating

This is where people get mixed up. Football doesn't exist because of referees, referees exist because of football. Yes, repeated subs can be difficult to manage for referees, but they are proven to increase participation so as referees we just need to suck it up and get on with it,

But the problem you have here isn't with roll-on-roll-off subs, it's with the expectations that the substitution procedure places on a lone referee in that situation. It's these requirements that need changing, not the roll-on-roll-off concept.
I see no value in the league having a record of who actually took to the field vs the bench with rolling subs at grassroots.

In lower leagues where we have unlimited flying subs (max. 18 squad), we don't record the subs. Simples.

Same here. Even having to record who has come on, once all subs are used i can't see why you'd keep recording.
So what are the burdensome expectations? Frequency can get a little annoying occasionally but that's about it. I start getting a bit deaf if it's stupidly frequent and in the final minute of the half.

I see no value in the league having a record of who actually took to the field vs the bench with rolling subs at grassroots.

In lower leagues where we have unlimited flying subs (max. 18 squad), we don't record the subs. Simples.

Very important in England because of the Standard Code of Rules. A substitute who doesn't enter the field of play isn't counted as having played when it comes to eligibility and cup tie rules. The only person who can validate this is the referee, so he or she needs to record who comes on.

Also important in some leagues in Aus when the finals series (championship) are played and players can play for other grades in the club out of their usual one. Reserve grade players usually get on the bench for experience without taking the field. Also reserve grade team can have up to X (4) first graders taking the field. Usually in their finals series games teams can only have players who have taken the field at least three of the last five premiership games and a minimum of five in the whole premiership season.

Very important in England because of the Standard Code of Rules. A substitute who doesn't enter the field of play isn't counted as having played when it comes to eligibility and cup tie rules. The only person who can validate this is the referee, so he or she needs to record who comes on.
”Rolling subs at grassroots”... everyone plays. You don’t come as a player to a grassroots match with rolling subs and not play!

Back