A&H

Rebecca Welch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Not seen anything on here, so well done to her on becoming first female to ref in the EFL.

As the Racing Post says today, it only took 200,000 games and 140 years!

When put like that, it really is shockingly bad.

The Referee Store
Not seen anything on here, so well done to her on becoming first female to ref in the EFL.

As the Racing Post says today, it only took 200,000 games and 140 years!

When put like that, it really is shockingly bad.

It's not like they've been turning away top class female candidates for 140 years is it?
Much better someone gets there on merit in 2021 than just for diversity's sake in 2001.

It's not like they've been turning away top class female candidates for 140 years is it?
Much better someone gets there on merit in 2021 than just for diversity's sake in 2001.
Very simplistic view to take.
Yes, perhaps some merit in your statement, but it doesn't answer why have we not been turning away top class female candidates? When, it seems that, once some effort has been put into female involvement they are clearly quite capable and can reach these levels.

PS congratulations to Rebecca, a fantastic achievement. Onwards and upwards!

So we'll gloss over the fact that the FA actually effectively banned women from playing football during that time then?:rolleyes:

So we'll gloss over the fact that the FA actually effectively banned women from playing football during that time then?:rolleyes:

Women didn't even get to vote until 1918. Hardly the FA's fault or ours for that matter.
This thread isn't about women's suffrage in general. Virtue signalling not required .. 🙄

"Virtue signalling" is a nonsense term used to try and dismiss people who state a positive and virtuous opinion.

The implication of course, is that Paul, James and presumably now myself all don't actually believe what we're saying and just think we "should" say it to look good? The fact that someone can't even conceive of the possibility that someone else might actually think more women at the top levels of football is a good thing says a lot more about you than it does the so called "virtue signalers".

Women didn't even get to vote until 1918. Hardly the FA's fault or ours for that matter.
This thread isn't about women's suffrage in general. Virtue signalling not required .. 🙄
Women were finally given the right to vote in 1918, then three years AFTER that The FA bans women from playing at any ground where the club was a member of The FA, not lifting that ban until 1971. So yes, there is plenty of fault to lay at the feet of The FA in this.

Women were finally given the right to vote in 1918, then three years AFTER that The FA bans women from playing at any ground where the club was a member of The FA, not lifting that ban until 1971. So yes, there is plenty of fault to lay at the feet of The FA in this.

What's that got to do with modern day female referees?

The world was once the way it was. The world is now the way it is
It wouldn't even register (with me) what sex the Referee is. I simply don't care. If Rebecca is good enough... good luck to her

Agreed.

I'd prefer to view her achievement as a reflection of her graft and refereeing ability than sully it with notions of her gender and bring woke virtue-signalling political rubbish into it.

She's clearly the first of more to follow .. 😎

They banned womens clubs from using any professional grounds and stripped womens clubs of any official recognition from 1921 to 1971 - Fifty years! and it has nothing to do with the FA?!!!! Come on!

Agreed.

I'd prefer to view her achievement as a reflection of her graft and refereeing ability than sully it with notions of her gender and bring woke virtue-signalling political rubbish into it.

She's clearly the first of more to follow .. 😎
I don't even know what 'woke' means, quite a compliment at my age being labelled as such.

Its not a valid question, to ask why football doesn't reflect the rest of society more closely?

If the national body bans a specific gender from playing for 50 years, you don't think that has any effect on women wanting to become referees????!!!!!!!

The ban was lifted 50 years ago Paul. That was my point. It didn't and hasn't affected any modern-day female referees, Rebecca included.

Women have to want to get into refereeing, if they aren't in the game they aren't going to get promoted to senior levels. It is better than it was 10 years ago, and there are many more female officials in the semi-pro game, but there is a long way to go. I don't know the figures nationwide, but in London less than 10% of referees are female, I suspect that is higher than the national number. It is still very low though, despite there being numerous initiatives to recruit more female referees.

Women have to want to get into refereeing, if they aren't in the game they aren't going to get promoted to senior levels. It is better than it was 10 years ago, and there are many more female officials in the semi-pro game, but there is a long way to go. I don't know the figures nationwide, but in London less than 10% of referees are female, I suspect that is higher than the national number. It is still very low though, despite there being numerous initiatives to recruit more female referees.
I agree with the stats but disagree with 'blaming' (for lack of a better word) women for it. We need to look into why women don't want to get into refereeing.

All referees start at grassroots. A few years ago our local RA had a big campaign to recruit female referees and we had a large number start. Many of them quit after a few games, either themselves quit or pulled out by their parents after seeing how they were treated by players and fans. There are deeper problems in the game to resolve before we can have the stats balanced.

Last edited:
Intimidating enough for big ugly mugs. Men's footy is hardly appealing
The massive shortage of Referees in the Men's game has only been redressed by the demise in participation
The 'fairer sex' have better things to do

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back