A&H

Real Madrid vs Atalanta

The Referee Store
Yes. I think so.
Distance, just outside PA.
General direction is towards goal,
control yes,
number, and proximity of defenders, the defender on far side is a red herring for me, the shot is long gone before he can affect play..

Summary - dogso, red.

Distance - 20 yards from goal ✅
General direction is towards goal ✅
Attacker would have got to the ball before a defender or GK ✅
No covering defenders ✅

Remove the foul from the equation and the attacker's next touch is a free shot on goal. It's a red card for me.

The only possible question mark is the last touch before he is fouled is heavy and as a result the ball was going wider than he would have liked. Still enough for a red though.

One of my favourite things is players surrounding the ref. I hear they often change their mind when this happens
Robbie Savage " He still had a lot to do"
Peter Drury "He showed the red card without a moment's hesitation"

Why is the default position of comms always to try and find the 'error' of the referee?:rolleyes:

I agree this is red as the Law reads.

Let's go sideways a bit . . . would FIFA applaud the red if this was in the 20th minute of a WC knock out game, or would they be happier if the ref called it SPAA instead?

Why is the default position of comms always to try and find the 'error' of the referee?:rolleyes:
Referees are the sith lords of football

Dog 'n' Duck 3 nowt down I'd go yellow, but it's a straight forward red ordinarily

Let's go sideways a bit . . . would FIFA applaud the red if this was in the 20th minute of a WC knock out game, or would they be happier if the ref called it SPAA instead?
I feel this. It doesn’t feel OGSO because of the angle... but the considerations are so clearly met.

I don’t see a way out of the red here. There’s no plausible yellow justification.

Red, him being 2 yards off centre doesnt make it not DOGSO.
He is absolutely through with the keeper to beat

Did the strong quick card help the ref sell this in this case?

Interesting as we rarely see flash cards at the highest level and I don’t remember seeing a big decision red drawn on the run like that.

At grassroots I think a strong quick card works, but I’m not so sure here.

This is why referees are where they are now with fans and commentators alike.

The same scenario, let's say the offender is from a low ranked country with no superstars and the opponent is a high ranked country with lots of superstars and fans. The offender is not sent off and later scores the only goal of the game. Then the same FIFA wants the referee sent home immediately after the game.

That's why we should apply the laws impartially and not according to expectations from those with conflict of interest.

This is why referees are where they are now with fans and commentators alike.

The same scenario, let's say the offender is from a low ranked country with no superstars and the opponent is a high ranked country with lots of superstars and fans. The offender is not sent off and later scores the only goal of the game. Then the same FIFA wants the referee sent home immediately after the game.

That's why we should apply the laws impartially and not according to expectations from those with conflict of interest.
Then by the same token we have to apply them in the same way as we would in the WC as on a Sunday morning - its the same game after all.

Because television is all about manufacturing drama and storylines. That's how you draw viewers.

I don't really have a lot of sympathy to the "should have been a yellow because of context" line of thinking. This may not have been a clear goal had the foul not occurred, but I sure think it was an obvious opportunity. This play certainly isn't your stereotypical DOGSO foul of the player being 30 yards from goal with the ball at his feet as the defender takes him out from behind, but I side with those who say it's an obvious opportunity if the foul doesn't occur.

I realize that our natural inclination (it's definitely mine) is to look for reasons to downgrade a send-off to a caution if we have any doubt, but I think this is a play where Stieler made a decisive, courageous call that was correct despite what the general footballing public is saying.

Then by the same token we have to apply them in the same way as we would in the WC as on a Sunday morning - its the same game after all.
Strange conclusion to get to from my statement but once you get to the world cup as long as you you don't make a decision based on what FIFA expects you to Make, when there is a conflict between their expectations an applying the laws fairly.

To give you an example there were two incidents in the last world cup with Ronaldo, both of which he received a yellow. One for elbowing an opponent another for an aggressive headbutt motion to a referee in very close distance. Both of these would have been reds for a much lesser crowd pulling players (imo).

My statement is not about grassroots vs WC. It's about decisions within the lotg framework but based on fairness, rather than within the lotg framework but business based or based on pleasing certain people.

Back