A&H

Reading vs Crystal Palace

Alfie Cooper

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone,

I was at the Reading game last night and unfortunately we lost 2-0 and I know about all the controversy with the penalty but I was wondering if anyone else saw Paul McShane's foul on Wayne Hennessey and your opinions on it.

For anyone who didn't see it I will try to explain it briefly:

The ball came high into the penalty area around the penalty spot and McShane went to try and head it towards goal. Then Hennessey leaped on him to catch the ball which he completely missed and Mike Dean gave Hennessey a direct free kick.

Thanks!

The Referee Store
yes it was a poor decision by the looks of it (but of course we know this due to the joys of multiple angles of viewing and slow motion which the referee of course did not have). Should have been play on. Such is football though.

Never a foul, but we all know keepers are a protected species.

Penalty was soft, but defender made it easy by raising his arm across the attacker. With so many players hitting the deck after even the slightest hint of touch, why even run the risk? Sadly the art of defending has all but disappeared with players preferring wrestling, shirt pulling and rugby tackles to actually playing the game properly. :( There was a prime example last night, player all over his opponent, holding and shirt pulling, forcing his opponent to the floor, Mike Dean gave the foul to which the offending player responded "What the f was wrong with that?" :confused:

yes it was a poor decision by the looks of it (but of course we know this due to the joys of multiple angles of viewing and slow motion which the referee of course did not have). Should have been play on. Such is football though.
Fair point about the multiple angles but tbh I was sitting at an awkward angle and I thought straight away there was nothing in it. I'll post the time of the incident from iPlayer later.

Never a foul, but we all know keepers are a protected species.

Penalty was soft, but defender made it easy by raising his arm across the attacker. With so many players hitting the deck after even the slightest hint of touch, why even run the risk? Sadly the art of defending has all but disappeared with players preferring wrestling, shirt pulling and rugby tackles to actually playing the game properly. :( There was a prime example last night, player all over his opponent, holding and shirt pulling, forcing his opponent to the floor, Mike Dean gave the foul to which the offending player responded "What the f was wrong with that?" :confused:
As soon as I got home I watched it back on iPlayer and there was a lot of things that Mike Dean got right for both sides but a lot that he got wrong. After every incident it seemed like he was talking to the offender for eternities.

Back