A&H

RDO CFA questioning me

Zimmyman

Just got an email from my County RDO asking me to explain a report that was sent in about me by an official of a club that input a report in for misconduct ! The club responded with a lie ridden statement and now I’m being asked to explain myself by my RDO !!! I have to say this make me want to pack it all in right now !! Or am I being over reactive ? I just feel peeved the way I’ve been asked to explain my actions
It feels like I’m the culprit here and not the club who I reported ! At the time they did say they was reporting me ! But now I feel like a child being chastised my the CFA ! How are we supposed to get any protection at all could be my last game the way I feel right now

The Referee Store
This is relatively standard practice in the sense of RDOs etc will ask you for your observations on the matter.

Nothing to be concerned about normally.

As others have said, don't worry, just reply back with what happened and your version of events.

As a referee league official we quiet often ask for observations from referees if you are concerned and have a trusted colleague then send your reply to him for a review first. Don't stress though.

It all depends how you are approached by your RDO. If they get a "complaining" report, the right thing to do is:

1. Approach it in a nuteral way
2. Get the input of the referee
3. Respond to the complain with logical reasoning from the referee input.

Help your RDO do that by giving an accurate and concise report. Don't be afraid to state the facts even if it doesn't help your case but make sure you justify your decisions. For example "I was 40 yard away from the challenge", but "I had a clear view of the trip and I was certain it was a careless foul".

Also don't be afraid to admit mistakes. For example "in hindsight, playing advantage would have been a better decision on that occasion". You are a first year referee and no one expects you to be perfect. Just make sure you address every lie in the report accurately.

One tip in making your response (or any report) sound more credible. Use LOTG and referee terminology and not player terminology. E.g., the foul was inside the penalty area (not the box), in front of technical area (not the benches). Don't say I sent him off for swearing. Say he used the words xxxx yyyy in a tone I deemed offensive.

Just got an email from my County RDO asking me to explain a report that was sent in about me by an official of a club that input a report in for misconduct ! The club responded with a lie ridden statement and now I’m being asked to explain myself by my RDO !!! I have to say this make me want to pack it all in right now !! Or am I being over reactive ? I just feel peeved the way I’ve been asked to explain my actions
It feels like I’m the culprit here and not the club who I reported ! At the time they did say they was reporting me ! But now I feel like a child being chastised my the CFA ! How are we supposed to get any protection at all could be my last game the way I feel right now
I’ve done 14 games this season not a lot as I had a month away 10 with no trouble cards etc at all then boom 4 with complete mayhem
And now I have acted a club decides to report me and I get my RDO wanting answers to the complaint where is our backing ?? We go out and tolerate the abuse etc and when we act any club can file a report with a tissue of lies attached to it and we then have to answer ourselves to a RDO who never even bothered to ask if I was ok !!
Compete waste of time and posdibly now my last game as I’ve had enough already honestly which is sad as I thought I was doing ok I won’t mention my CFA but when I put a report in earlier this year with another CFA at least they asked me if I was ok sorry for the rant but I feel aggrieved

I’ve done 14 games this season not a lot as I had a month away 10 with no trouble cards etc at all then boom 4 with complete mayhem
And now I have acted a club decides to report me and I get my RDO wanting answers to the complaint where is our backing ?? We go out and tolerate the abuse etc and when we act any club can file a report with a tissue of lies attached to it and we then have to answer ourselves to a RDO who never even bothered to ask if I was ok !!
Compete waste of time and posdibly now my last game as I’ve had enough already honestly which is sad as I thought I was doing ok I won’t mention my CFA but when I put a report in earlier this year with another CFA at least they asked me if I was ok sorry for the rant but I feel aggrieved

I don't know what more you want really. A team has put in a report and your RDO has asked you for your side of the story. Isn't that a perfectly logical way to go about it?

I don't know what more you want really. A team has put in a report and your RDO has asked you for your side of the story. Isn't that a perfectly logical way to go about it?
Well he did not ask for my side of the whole story only bullet marks of a report sent in about me by a CAR points of which were untrue he did not even show me the full report only the bits he wanted answered about me which was said that I did so yes I do want more psrticarly as it was an abudive match against me all the way through and I’m not even asked if I’m ok go figure

Well he did not ask for my side of the whole story only bullet marks of a report sent in about me by a CAR points of which were untrue he did not even show me the full report only the bits he wanted answered about me which was said that I did so yes I do want more psrticarly as it was an abudive match against me all the way through and I’m not even asked if I’m ok go figure

Chin up Zimmy, everyone is being supportive here, we've all been there (probably). On with the next one!! Its not you in any trouble!!!

Match Officials can be accused (and possibly charged) of misconduct, same as anyone else involved in football. Your RDO does not know what happened, but is duty bound to ask for your version of events. It makes sense to continue withholding details of events from the forum

I reported a certain team for an unspeakable act, 1 x FA enquiry, home team never even turned up and got away with it, I appealed, again lies, lies, lies, they got away with it , so I appealed again...... Ended dealing with FA in London......If only I could post the transcript of that conversation!!!
Complete horsesh1t of an organisation!!!

One game earlier this season I had a game where I sent off 2 players. One was for 2 yellows (dissent & a reckless challenge which was border line straight red) and one for an offence which included OFFINABUS and physical contact with myself (165 day ban, uncontested). The manager threatened to report me as in his opinion I deliberately disallowed a goal for offside because I was biased towards the other team (not exactly in those words!). I said that he's welcome to do as he pleases and never spoke to him again but I didn't hear anything from anyone so I assume that he didn't report me. If you are reported, it is part of the procedure that you're told about it by the CFA?

How many players think they can appeal a yellow :yawn::yawn::yawn:....Had loads say they could, I'd just say crack on then!!! Even asked me my name etc but nothing ever came from it!!

@Zimmyman it feels like you are making more out of this than you need to. At the end of the day you are going to get situations where things happen that are outside of your control.
For me, there are 2 reasons why relatively new referees quit, the first one is abuse, the second one is simply that once the stabilisers are off, all referees realise that being a referee is bloody hard and certainly at grassroots level can be a pretty lonely job. Many young referees come into the game because they think that refereeing is easy money, only to find that it really isn't!

If at the first sign of trouble or issues, you are considering giving up, maybe you need to consider your reasons for wanting to become a referee in the first place and see if those reasons are still valid and make your decision accordingly.

Back