A&H

Rare situations

Luke Levy

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys, I've got quite a lot of potential situations here which fortunately haven't occurred with me yet but in the rare circumstance that it does, I am not fully confident in what decisions I would make. I will explain the situation and then write what I think I would do or allow any comments to explain what to do. Please confirm my idea or correct me as necessary. So here they are:

1) As the ball is travelling towards an empty goal inside the penalty area, a substitute/ manager/ spectator/ physio or another ball/ dog prevents the ball entering?
If a substitute does it, I would give a red card and an INDFK
Anything else I would give a dropped ball

2) In a similar situation but a player stops the ball by throwing a shin pad or shoe or anything else?
If it was an outfield player, I would give a red and penalty as I believe it is seen as an extension of the arm
If it was a goalkeeper, I would give a yellow and INDFK since I think you can't penalise a goalkeeper with a DFK or penalty from using his hands inside the area (although I am more unsure about what card I would issue)

3) If a player leaves the field of play by his defensive goal line, does that player have an effect on the offside line?
In my opinion, if he accidentally left (e.g. defensive header away and momentum carried him off) and while he is off the pitch he does not count as one of the last two players and therefore an attacker may be offside.
If he deliberately left the pitch, he still counts as on the pitch, on the goal line and a yellow card for leaving field without permission.

4) Slight touch of ball from corner to trick opponents into thinking the ball wasn't kicked into play? I believe the rules state the ball is in play the moment it is touched and moved by I think I've seen videos of referee's ordering retakes of the corner once a second player started running with the ball. What do you think?

5) Whilst the ball is in play:
a substitute enters the pitch and strikes an opponent (or if this occurs off the field of play)
A player hits a substitute who is on the field of play (or off the pitch)
A substitute hits another substitute (on or off the pitch)
Player/ substitute hits spectator or manager
What would you guys do in these situations?

6) Very windy day and there's a goal kick. The goalkeeper kicks the ball out of the area but the ball is blown back and goes into the goal (corner or retake) or the goalkeeper catches the ball (retake or INDFK).
Similar situation but when the ball never left the area, what would you do?

7) Defensive free kick in own area. Ball is kicked back to goalkeeper who picks it up (goalkeeper is in the area). Would you give a retake because the ball never left the area or an INDFK? What would you do if the roles were reversed, goalkeeper kicks back to player who picks it up? Both players inside their own area
Similar situation but the ball goes directly into the goal (retake or corner?)

I know this is a lot of questions but I just want to know a lot and get as little wrong as possible. If you could give a brief explanation on any of your decisions that would be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
1. I'm trying to work out under what you could send the player off for if he's a substitute?
2. Spot on.
3. To me he's always active unless receiving treatment with permission.
4. My favourite type of corner. Definitely allow it.
5. All red.
6. If it never left the area then retakes all round, if it does leave that IDFK all round
7. Retake except for the one straight into goal which is a corner

1. I'm trying to work out under what you could send the player off for if he's a substitute?
2. Spot on.
5. All red.
6. If it never left the area then retakes all round, if it does leave that IDFK all round

For number 6 would it not be a corner if the ball left the penalty area rather than IDFK? If its left the area then the goal kick is legal but of course you can't score an own goal from a goal kick? If he catches it then yes would be IDFK for playing the ball twice

2. Spot on.
5. All red.

1) You can send off a substitute for DOGSO
5) I agree it is all red but in each situation, which one is IDFK and which on is a dropped ball? I think its an IDFK if its on the pitch and a dropped if the event occurred off the pitch

Back