A&H

Rangers vs Dortmund

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
there was a thread months ago regarding Antonio Lahoz and his performances and this is true in this game. He referees with such arrogance. Things like spray for free kicks on the half way line, never understood that.

Rangers third goal ruled out for a foul using the monitor. Never a foul in my opinion as defender initiated any contact

The Referee Store
Dortmund player clearly kicks Rangers player on the back of the ankle.
Biggest shock is that VAR is used to give free kick to Dortmund!
Get them to publicly talk through the decision (as per rugby) and this sort of clearly wrong call wouldn't be possible.

Interestingly theres a clear angle that isn’t shown to the ref which shows theres no attacking contact

The referees body language too me had the look of I did not want to overrule this but I have too because I been sent to the screen which of course has been discussed before in other incidents.

It's just totally the wrong decision though but thankfully Rangers have gone through for the referee sake!

I would say that whether this was a foul or not (and I'm leaning towards not) it doesn't reach the level of a clear and obvious error not to have given it.

The referees body language too me had the look of I did not want to overrule this but I have too because I been sent to the screen which of course has been discussed before in other incidents.

It's just totally the wrong decision though but thankfully Rangers have gone through for the referee sake!

I agree. He seemed to be disagreeing with the VAR official quite extensively upon viewing the first few replays. Then it changed and he seemed very reluctant to overturn the decision. This was evident in his body language prior to doing just that.

This was also kicking about from a blue ticked account on twitter. It appears to have been deleted

52B133C0-38CF-42F7-8E85-C549DD1089B2.jpeg

Antonio Lahoz
Yes, he's a character! He did however deliver a fine performance in the Champion League Final, which (IMO) had a huge influence upon how the Euros were Refereed. However, despite commitments to perpetuate this change in Refereeing style, the EPL/PGMOL have reverted to type and the influence of the 'lone wolf' has ultimately faded

I rarely watch European Competition and football outside the UK, but I did get engrossed by this game last night
Interestingly, despite forum members claiming VAR is great everywhere else, I was hardly surprised to see this joke of an intervention last night
It is what it is, the 'new normal'... to coin a phrase I really don't like

Yes, he's a character! He did however deliver a fine performance in the Champion League Final, which (IMO) had a huge influence upon how the Euros were Refereed. However, despite commitments to perpetuate this change in Refereeing style, the EPL/PGMOL have reverted to type and the influence of the 'lone wolf' has ultimately faded

I rarely watch European Competition and football outside the UK, but I did get engrossed by this game last night
Interestingly, despite forum members claiming VAR is great everywhere else, I was hardly surprised to see this joke of an intervention last night
It is what it is, the 'new normal'... to coin a phrase I really don't like
That's a real straw man argument, I don't think anyone claims that.

There's a fully-resourced version that is generally used in international tournaments that people like, but that also benefits from having the cream of the crop referees operating it. Champions/Europa league has the latter benefit but not the former, and then in other domestic leagues, it basically has the same issues we see in the PL, just fewer of them get translated to English for our referees and pundits to moan about. This is a constant point you'll see made over and over by Dale Johnson on twitter - VAR has the same issues everywhere, everyone thinks "their" version is the worst.

In the early days of VAR you did have some regional variation, for example Germany tried the "AR's flag regardless" thing the season before VAR came into the PL, quickly decided it was an awful idea and the FA then decided they knew better and started VAR with it in the PL a year later. Or the Dutch margin of error that was often talked about, would have barely made any actual practical difference and is now part of our system anyway. But most of that is gone now, and it all comes down to the quality of the referees using it and the consistency of the instruction they're given.

Back