A&H

Quick question about undershirts / shorts.

Dino Ref

Hi all,

I've got an observation tomorrow and I know about the undershirt / tape thing in law but I have some questions that I'm hoping someone higher up on the ladder might be able to help with.

How strict is the tape likely to be assessed? For example if a team is wearing dark blue socks I take it they cannot wear light blue tape.

My next question is about undershorts since it is chilly. As far as I'm aware you don't wear anything underneath them, so if I have to ask someone to remove them, they will only be wearing one layer of shorts, correct? Also the pitch is about a 10 minute walk from the car park. Am I correct in assuming that if I need a player to remove them I ask them to do it in the car park, since there are no changing rooms?

The Referee Store
Hi all,

I've got an observation tomorrow and I know about the undershirt / tape thing in law but I have some questions that I'm hoping someone higher up on the ladder might be able to help with.

How strict is the tape likely to be assessed? For example if a team is wearing dark blue socks I take it they cannot wear light blue tape.

My next question is about undershorts since it is chilly. As far as I'm aware you don't wear anything underneath them, so if I have to ask someone to remove them, they will only be wearing one layer of shorts, correct? Also the pitch is about a 10 minute walk from the car park. Am I correct in assuming that if I need a player to remove them I ask them to do it in the car park, since there are no changing rooms?

There are observers on here who are in a far better position than i to advise. But I've had 2 observations this year and had the usual array of different coloured under armour, sock tape and even a multi-coloures bandana to tie dreadlocks in to. After the kit check I made the point to the observer(s) that I'd noticed the issues and understood them but as it was cold and its grass roots i was allowing it and both agreed with me. I think its important you show that you understand the laws regarding kit but I wasn't expected to ask them to remove it at grass roots and I was never going to as it was very cold.

Cant guarantee that your observer will feel the same but odds are in your favour. Interesting to know from the observers on here if they'd expect the ref to get the players to remove all the wrong coloured under armour and sock tape at grass roots?

There are observers on here who are in a far better position than i to advise. But I've had 2 observations this year and had the usual array of different coloured under armour, sock tape and even a multi-coloures bandana to tie dreadlocks in to. After the kit check I made the point to the observer(s) that I'd noticed the issues and understood them but as it was cold and its grass roots i was allowing it and both agreed with me. I think its important you show that you understand the laws regarding kit but I wasn't expected to ask them to remove it at grass roots and I was never going to as it was very cold.

Cant guarantee that your observer will feel the same but odds are in your favour. Interesting to know from the observers on here if they'd expect the ref to get the players to remove all the wrong coloured under armour and sock tape at grass roots?
Thanks for your input.

The pitch is a good 5-10 minutes away from the car park so I was hoping to carry it out early to give them time to alter any equipment.

Hopefully no issues though.

Hi all,

Sock tape is unnecessary and easily removed. Some observers will make a song and dance about it, others won't. My personal view is that if it doesn't have an impact on your game, then it will be an advisory comment which might not even make it to the report. If however you give a throw -in in the wrong direction or a corner kick instead of a goal kick because you became confused over the colour of the material when the ball last made contact, it has impacted your game and possibly your game control. In that case, it is going in the report and it may impact your overall rating.

With regard to undershorts, the same issues arise however their removal could result in players indecently exposing themselves. To avoid this risk, you will have to insist the players pull the undershorts up under their outer shorts. More importantly, be seen by the observer taking this action and explain why you took it. You might also need to be seen repeating the instruction during the game.

As Ben says above, demonstrating your knowledge of the law and being able to explain why you did what you did (or didn't do) is often more important than adhering to the letter of the law.

Sock tape is unnecessary and easily removed. Some observers will make a song and dance about it, others won't. My personal view is that if it doesn't have an impact on your game, then it will be an advisory comment which might not even make it to the report. If however you give a throw -in in the wrong direction or a corner kick instead of a goal kick because you became confused over the colour of the material when the ball last made contact, it has impacted your game and possibly your game control. In that case, it is going in the report and it may impact your overall rating.

With regard to undershorts, the same issues arise however their removal could result in players indecently exposing themselves. To avoid this risk, you will have to insist the players pull the undershorts up under their outer shorts. More importantly, be seen by the observer taking this action and explain why you took it. You might also need to be seen repeating the instruction during the game.

As Ben says above, demonstrating your knowledge of the law and being able to explain why you did what you did (or didn't do) is often more important than adhering to the letter of the law.
Thanks for your input.

Very helpful.

Speaking as an observer, for me the location and level of game is important. If it is on Hackney Marshes, where you are often lucky if a team is all wearing the same coloured shorts, you are on a bit of a hiding to nothing and potentially killing your match control before a ball has even been kicked. Whereas on higher level leagues I expect to see the referee at least try to deal with it, similar to what Brian has said above.

Any observer worth their salt is going to take the context of the match into consideration (as RustyRef points out). What they ought to be looking for is a referee who facilitates a fair and clear game that is fun for those involved, especially at your level. Once you get higher up, then the expectation will change: you will now exist to enforce the laws with uniformity in a way that makes the competition fair overall and entertaining for the people who are paying money to watch. In the latter case, however, you will have at least an hour pre-match to assess the equipment of both teams and you will, yourself, have a crew of officials to help you.

Back