A&H

Quick Free Kicks

DE-REF

When giving a penalty to the attacking team around the edge of the penalty area, I have got myself into the habit of offering the attacking player the option of me ensuring the wall is 10 yards away or giving them the chance to take a quick one. If they want the 10, I make clear that they must wait for my whistle to take the kick, however if they want a quick one I just move away to take up an appropriate position and let them take the kick with no whistle blown.

Am I doing anything wrong? On Sunday a quick free kick led to a goal (the taker crossed to a teammate who headed in at the far post). The keeper complained bitterly that I had not blown my whistle to restart play, but I maintained that it was not necessary for me to do so in the circumstances (I had not measured out the distance nor had there been any cards issued in respect of the foul that led to the free kick).

I am not entirely comfortable with how I manage these situations though and as a former member of the goalkeepers union, can understand the frustration for the keeper. Is there a better way for me to manage free kicks around the penalty area?

The Referee Store
Hi, We were told that any free kick around the P.A. is to be treated as a ceremonial free kick which always has to be stopped. wall measured out and the attacker to wait for the whistle.

Im glad you have asked this question and I think im a perfect person to ask put this question to for the following reason lol :

I have given a FK on the edge of the box and allowed a quick free kick with no whilstle and blow me I have never had so much misconduct and poor behaviour in one incident in my life lol.

Free kicks around the box ALWAYS ALWAYS pace out the 10 and never offer a quick one as its going to cause you problems especially if it goes in like the one i gave did lol

There's nothing stopping you from allowing a quick FK, although the easier option is to slow the game down around the penalty area.

Cheers chaps. So I think what you are saying is that I am doing nothing wrong in law in allowing a quick one, but I will save myself a lot of potential aggro by slowing things down and controlling the situation with a whistle to restart play. I guess this would also allow me more time to take up a good position too.

In fairness it is rare that someone wants to take a quick one anyway, so I doubt many attackers will complain that I am denying them the chance to take advantage of a quick free kick around the box.

You'll normally have the keeper asking for "whistle please ref!" anyway

I had a manager ask me if his side could take quick ones if they wanted them. I said yes...but that it could only happen if I wasn't having a word, issuing a caution etc. I tend to always do this anyway on a decision around the edge of the box to give me time to get in position for the best view and slow the game down a little. It's rare you give something on the edge that isn't massively disputed anyway.

Although only newly qualified and not had the match experience on my course we were told you can allow quick free kicks around the penalty area. But to make life easy on yourself wait for the attacker to ask for it and in doing so your not giving them the option without them considering it, and also you can slow the game down that little bit which normally means taking a quick one isnt very helpful.

There's nothing stopping you from allowing quick free kicks around the box, just I wouldn't recommend it.

I will allow a quick free kick anywhere on the pitch, appart from around the penalty box, simply because, if its intercepted by someone who is not 10yds, it causes too much problem. For me, in a very attacking position, slow the game down, allow them to get into position, and then blow for the kick.

Wasn't the question about taking a quick penalty? Never happens;-)

For FK around the penalty area I always make them ceremonial, saying 'on my whistle' and showing the whistle to the takers. This not only reinforces it to the players, but also the spectators. When I have taken up my position, I blow.

Back