A&H

Quick free kicks and random query

Don't forget you can't have a quick free kick if you need to caution or send off a player. Use of the whistle for the restart is mandatory in that scenario.

The Referee Store
I should introduce myself by saying I used to referee at junior level about 20 years ago, haven't done so since, but try to keep on top of the Laws.

The issue of quick free kicks is one that interests me, because I've always been pretty clear that a defending player moving to within ten yards of the ball once the free kick has been awarded ("Stand on it!") is a complete no-no, but from experience as a spectator it seems to be pretty much accepted practice throughout the pyramid.

The impression I get from the posts here is that my original view is still valid, which begs the question why we don't see more enforcement? For me it's one of those where if a player knew they'd be going in the book as soon as they moved towards the ball (and the ref's 'superiors' would support that), it would stop pretty quickly.

I think it's a valid question @quizeye . I'm not sure the way that the LOTG are worded give much encouragement to referees to indiscriminately penalise players for this offense, especially in the knowledge that it will be seen as 'soft' by the players and may therefore cause match control issues. Don't get me wrong, it's a personal bugbear of mine too and I will be highly vocal in avoiding players 'standing on the ball' and (where necessary) penalising them for doing so. However, for it to be a caution the player must actually and intentionally stop the taking of a quick free kick rather than theoretically do so.

"If a player decides to take a free kick quickly and an opponent who is near the ball deliberately prevents him taking the kick the referee must caution" - p133

This exact wording is why I think many referees will try and 'manage' most situations vocally rather than quickly carding ... and then of course there are a few referees who (mistakenly!) think that not enforcing this Law will make their lives easier :)

Interesting, thanks. I think this is one of those issues that could be an "easy win" in terms of coaxing football back towards a more sporting/respectful environment, along with a much lower tolerance of dissent.

Back