A&H

Open Age Question

ref_essex

I've put it in to a scenario for you....

Home#7 tackles an opponent in a reckless manner. You play advantage (knowing you'll come back to caution home#7).
30 seconds on you still haven't gone back to home#7 as play hasn't stopped. He then tackles another opponent in a reckless manner (caution). This time you blow for a free kick. What would you do here? Surely you can't show a yellow card and them immediately show another within a second of each other???

Always a question I've had, but I keep forgetting to ask.

So what's your thoughts?
Hopefully an assessor can come up with the correct answer?

The Referee Store
You can caution for both.

I would call the captain over as well and explain that the number 7 is being cautioned for the first reckless challenge which you played advantage on, and is getting a second caution for the reckless foul that has stopped play. While doing this I would also point to the points of the fouls on the field of play so that everyone else knows why he is being dismissed and its not a straight red card.

You can caution for both.

I would call the captain over as well and explain that the number 7 is being cautioned for the first reckless challenge which you played advantage on, and is getting a second caution for the reckless foul that has stopped play. While doing this I would also point to the points of the fouls on the field of play so that everyone else knows why he is being dismissed and its not a straight red card.

Thank-you it's something I've wanted clarifying for a while. It would be an awful position to be in, in terms of match control.

As long as you have given a clear "advantage" signal, players (especially the offender) can be in no doubt that a foul has taken place. That combined with the pointing to the location of the two offences leaves everyone in no doubt as to why the player is walking. I would also be tempted to do it with the captain present so that it is fully explained.

Personally I would caution for one, doesn't matter which one. I would also pull
The captain over and give VERY STRONG words of advise and go from there.
Giving two YC like that could be dangerous and you could lose control if the game.

Don't wish to hijack the thread but slightly different scenario....the player you are yet to book, wins the ball back, breaks and scores...

Goal and yellow??

Don't wish to hijack the thread but slightly different scenario....the player you are yet to book, wins the ball back, breaks and scores...

Goal and yellow??
Yes. And this is the issue I have. How can you caution a bloke twice in one incident who has just scored, meaning he's sent off?
For me, play advantage from reckless challenge knowing he's going to be cautioned. Unless he commits a red card offence, I'm only cautioning him once and I will ensure he knows he is VERY much on his final warning.
Selling a double yellow would be nigh-on impossible.

So, in answer - I'd be cautioning once!

I had occasion to let play go after a cautionable challenge and to make it clear I called the advantage and shouted ''next time it goes dead 4", everyone knew what was going to happen.

Just a tip from an experienced head that was passed on to me to put players in the picture and stop any thoughts of afters.

I've put it in to a scenario for you....

Home#7 tackles an opponent in a reckless manner. You play advantage (knowing you'll come back to caution home#7).
30 seconds on you still haven't gone back to home#7 as play hasn't stopped. He then tackles another opponent in a reckless manner (caution). This time you blow for a free kick. What would you do here? Surely you can't show a yellow card and them immediately show another within a second of each other???

Always a question I've had, but I keep forgetting to ask.

So what's your thoughts?
Hopefully an assessor can come up with the correct answer?
I think there is a loophole in the laws regarding this situation.
As you have correctly pointed out, you would be CAUTIONING a player. But this leads to a player being cautioned twice once you stop play. This contradicts the original point of a yellow card (caution for future behaviour).
When a player commits a Yellow and I play advantage, I shout "play on, advantage", but also add "That's Yellow, coming back for you number X".
That way the player knows he is technically on a caution and everyone else, incase they think they want to do a similary level of foul.

Interested to hear what others do.

Cheers
Col
I'm not an assessor.

and there in a nutshell, matt, is the reason why you should always filter the responses you get on here and not assume that your issue, which is an interesting one, has but one resolution.

You'd have to give two yellows. Tell the captain as well and make it quite clear by pointing to the first incident then showing the yellow card, then point to the second incident and show the yellow card and then the red. You'll still get dissent but not as much as people (particularly spectators) should realise why you've done it. There was the Joey Barton one a couple of weeks ago when he fouled then kicked the ball at an opponent so the ref showed to yellows in a row then red.

COMMUNICATION, communication, communication.

You're playing a great advantage after an offence for which you will caution - make sure you're not the only person who knows that that's the outcome.

Two reckless tackles? Sounds like persistent infringement to me.

"1 there and 1 there." Make sure to point them out whilst cautioning.

Reckless should be an automatic caution, persistent infringement would surely be several foul tackles committed by the same player, none of which could be described as reckless

Back