A&H

Qualified15 year old refereeing U15 games if no ref available

Ref253

If an U15 game has no Referee as they haven't turned up, can a qualified 15 year old ref stand in with the agreement of both teams?

I know they should only Referee teams 2 years below them, but would a competent 15 year old Referee be a better option that a Manager or parent Refereeing the game?

The Referee Store
Better for who? For the young referee in question, it could be a harrowing and difficult experience that puts them off refereeing again.

I know that's a little hyperbolic, but the restrictions are in place for the safeguarding of young referees which in the long run, benefits players and teams as well by aiding the retention of officials. Some referees might be able to handle some games at this age level with no issues, but I'd be very wary of making a blanket allowance for this.

Better for who? For the young referee in question, it could be a harrowing and difficult experience that puts them off refereeing again.

I know that's a little hyperbolic, but the restrictions are in place for the safeguarding of young referees which in the long run, benefits players and teams as well by aiding the retention of officials. Some referees might be able to handle some games at this age level with no issues, but I'd be very wary of making a blanket allowance for this.
Great perspective. I would be very wary of what Referee did this and certainly would never make a blanket allowance. I am not even sure if I can or would do it.

If ever this was to be done, lots of additional safeguarding would be put in place to protect the Referee.

I know they should only Referee teams 2 years below them, but would a competent 15 year old Referee be a better option that a Manager or parent Refereeing the game?
It's one year down, an 15 year old referee can referee U14 and below.

A competent 15 year old referee probably would be better than a coach or manager, but it isn't allowed and you could get into all kinds of trouble doing it, as could the clubs.

Back