A&H

QPR v Sunderland

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Oh dear! TBF to the AR it DID look offside live.

I'm a tad more philisophical about it than most fellow QPR fans though!

1635345119763.png1635345119763.png

A&H International
It's a poor decision. Keith Stroud has been given some absolute shocking abuse as he was in the middle, but I don't see how this could be anything other than an AR error.

It can happen. Taken the snapshot a second too late. Not been in the correct position.
No one will be beating the AR more than himself here.
This is where VAR does work... Dare I say it..

It's a poor decision. Keith Stroud has been given some absolute shocking abuse as he was in the middle, but I don't see how this could be anything other than an AR error.
Agree - it was obviously an AR error, but compounded by one or two other things in that passage of play.

The Sunderland defender did block the ball with his arm - outstretched, away from his body, 4 yards from goal), it rebounded to Austin, KS actually signalled for the goal, after a quick glance to AR, THEN AR put the flag up.

Two 'wrong' decisions and a 'messy' sequence to get there, happy fans do not make!

Agree - it was obviously an AR error, but compounded by one or two other things in that passage of play.

The Sunderland defender did block the ball with his arm - outstretched, away from his body, 4 yards from goal), it rebounded to Austin, KS actually signalled for the goal, after a quick glance to AR, THEN AR put the flag up.

Two 'wrong' decisions and a 'messy' sequence to get there, happy fans do not make!
I don't think that's handball with the new bottom of the armpit Mullarkey. Happily be corrected with a still of the point contact. - however, nor did the referee as the AR signalling offside would mean the offence of handball happened before the offside offence and the correct restart Would have been a PK as per law 11.

That looks like it comes off the shoulder or at least around the "bottom of the armpit" managed to pause and do slow mo using the slider. Can't get the exact frame but on slow motion certainly doesn't look like a handball "offence"
Thanks James. If I wasn't already sick and tired of the 'ref bashing' on my fans' website I might have told them that, but think I will just collect my money and walk back to my car now! ;)

Just seeing the replay (video)....
This player at the start of the video is very clearly in an offside position (not saying offside) and moves back (where I put arrow)...
Screenshot_20211027-161751_Chrome.jpg
The defender heads clear.
And the ball falls straight at the feet of.....
The man that was in the offside position at the initial cross.
Screenshot_20211027-161824_Chrome.jpg

He then dribbles into the area, the ball goes loose to the wing, crosses in and then the shot/arm/goal occurs.

Is he actually flagging for the first player being offside and not the blatantly obvious non offside in Paul's screenshot.

This player at the start of the video is very clearly in an offside position (not saying offside) and moves back (where I put arrow)...
View attachment 5264
View attachment 5265

He then dribbles into the area, the ball goes loose to the wing, crosses in and then the shot/arm/goal occurs.

Is he actually flagging for the first player being offside and not the blatantly obvious non offside in Paul's screenshot.
Its Dykes and he has no impact on the defender heading the ball ( a deliberate act) so surely that's not offside?

Also AR didn't actually flag until after Keith Stroud signalled for the goal, so that would be a ridiculously late flag if that was the case no?

View attachment 5264
View attachment 5265

If so, still all so very wrong.
There's no VAR here so there is no reason to delay signal like this

Its Dykes and he has no impact on the defender heading the ball ( a deliberate act) so surely that's not offside?

Also AR didn't actually flag until after Keith Stroud signalled for the goal, so that would be a ridiculously late flag if that was the case no?

I agree it's still wrong.
Just trying to put another angle on the assistants thinking.

I agree it's still wrong.
Just trying to put another angle on the assistants thinking.
Fair enough - as refs and not fans I agree, we can usually can see where the error has come from. Here, as I was there, I CAN see where the error has come from, live it looked offside, but the goal signal and late flag were poor and compounded the error - sure the observer will pick up on that.

Am looking for a strong aware referee here to award a goal.

one of the downsides to learning your trade with CARs, you dont always fully digest offside, you get in the black and white habit of, offsiide is my Ars,

referee as if you dont have ARs, and at the very least these two have a chat, hopefully leading to the award of a goal.

simply going, his fags up, thats offside, Is lame

I haven't been able to run the video, so I'm just basing this on the descriptions. We all know that the delay is a VAR thing, so if this game is without VAR, let's assume for a moment that's not what the AR was doing. A plausible explanation for the delay may be that the AR was initially unsure of the involvement by the right player and getting confirmation from the R as to which player it was. There are a lot of players moving there, and the OSP player has to go behind several from the AR's perspective. Perhaps, what we had here was a conversation over the coms where the AR was checking to make sure he had the right player before raising the flag--a late flag is better than an early flag leading to an incorrect whistle.

I haven't been able to run the video, so I'm just basing this on the descriptions. We all know that the delay is a VAR thing, so if this game is without VAR, let's assume for a moment that's not what the AR was doing. A plausible explanation for the delay may be that the AR was initially unsure of the involvement by the right player and getting confirmation from the R as to which player it was. There are a lot of players moving there, and the OSP player has to go behind several from the AR's perspective. Perhaps, what we had here was a conversation over the coms where the AR was checking to make sure he had the right player before raising the flag--a late flag is better than an early flag leading to an incorrect whistle.
Keith is the guest speaker at our CORE event next week. I might just ask him what went on!

simply going, his fags up, thats offside, Is lame
Keep in mind that at that level they are using coms. Don't assume that the R knew nothing more than that the flag was up. It's very possible that the flag went up because the R confirmed to the AR over the com that the OSP player was the one who got involved and the R told him to put the flag up.

It really would be great as a learning matter to know what actually happened. I often find that when the details are known, I can take away a nugget or two to keep me from making a mistake later.

Ohhhhhhh that would be great if you could.

Even knowing which of the 3 'offside' players was called would be a help!

Keep in mind that at that level they are using coms. Don't assume that the R knew nothing more than that the flag was up. It's very possible that the flag went up because the R confirmed to the AR over the com that the OSP player was the one who got involved and the R told him to put the flag up.

It really would be great as a learning matter to know what actually happened. I often find that when the details are known, I can take away a nugget or two to keep me from making a mistake later.
Problem here, SL, is there isn't any procedure that makes up for the fact that none of the 3 possible 'offside' players were in fact offside!

If, if the Ar has asked for input as to the involvement of the original offside position player, then that tips the balance even further into the referees responsibility

" who are you flagging?"
" dyjes"
" right, he has no impact in that phase of play"
" cheers ref, just checking"
" goal"

Back