A&H

QFK after asking for whistle

one

RefChat Addict
How many caution for this? Never seen it done on a televised match and never done it myself. The only time I would see it justifiable is if it is done in defiance of the instruction.

1681213713233.png

The Referee Store
Yeah, I don't see that as a caution for USB in any way. I can see cases where it can be dissent or it can be delaying the restart (by forcing the ball to be fetched, respotted etc), but those are separate from USB.

Paul Tierney disallowed a goal scored by Man City against Newcastle a couple of seasons ago for exactly this offence - making them retake the FK but I don't recall a caution?

Could be wrong though ... :confused:

Edit: Just looked it up and yes, he did caution the player (De Bruyne) for it. :cool:

Last edited:
I did it once in a supply league game, and it was his second yellow so he walked. Reason I cautioned is he'd done it before, where I'd told him to wait for the whistle and he took it anyway. Plus I'd already spoken to him about delaying the restart (yes, I see the irony in cautioning him for then taking a restart too quickly :)). Everyone accepted it though, including the assessor and I got a mark of 83.

I have read this before, seems unbelievably harsh on the face of it.

I had an u15s game years ago where I gave a free kick to the home team near the corner of the penalty area. I said to the 2 lads lining up the free kick "wait for the whistle lads" and they nodded. Got the wall in place and whilst I was talking to another away defender about holding in the area, one of the attackers smashed the ball into the top corner. Cheers from the sidelines quickly turned to booing when I told them to take it again! In fairness to the players, they accepted it without complaint, unlike their parents. No way I was going to card him though especially as no one expected it either.

Sods law, they messed up the retake and lost the game 1-0! :confused:

Reactions: one
How many caution for this? Never seen it done on a televised match and never done it myself. The only time I would see it justifiable is if it is done in defiance of the instruction.
I've seen players cautioned for this in a number of televised games. One example has already been given but there have been others.

I can understand it if you've given the players a specific instruction and they then deliberately do what you instructed them not to but I've even seen one player cautioned for it when (as far as I could tell) the referee hadn't given a clear instruction but was just in the process of organising the kick.

I quite clearly remember thinking at the time, "That seems a bit harsh."

Reactions: one
Back