A&H

Qarabag handball

Anubis

RefChat Addict
Seeing clips this morning of a bizare reversal of a goal in last nights Europa league game ( no var)
Guy scores a handball from a cross, the clearest handball you can see all season
Goal awarded. Chaos ensues. Qarabag bench have now seen it back, and manager converses with captain and scorer, and they convince the ref to disallow the goal and give the fk to the opponent

The striking point is though, how the match officials missed the handball, and, unless its out of camera shot, the scorer ( cheat) was not cautioned. All very sporting of Qarabag to come clean, appreciated, but that should not overlook the original offence which caused the chaos in the first place.

The Referee Store
i'm one to talk after my pen the other week...but...

the reaction of the Qarabag player should have been enough to convince them it was handball, he didnt celebrate for 5 seconds as he knew what he'd done however both the ref and AR had their views, at least partially, obstructed.

right decision reached in the end but 3 dissent / AA cautions before play go underway again and nothing i believe for the striker who scored.

Haven't seen the clip.
I know the hand ball is a caution whether he scores or not.
Do you/we think the referee took fair play into his hands here? I actually think it's well managed if so and maybe a fairplay rule could be introduced, similar where if an offence is missed, but the offending player admits then he doesn't get cautioned for it. Obviously, that's a very loose idea and needs a whole lot more thought but seems fair to me.

Shame is, though, players were cautioned for what is likely dissent arguing their case for the handball which in fact they were correct. For 60 minutes after they are on tightrope for a red, or could even miss next round for accumulation of cards.

Shame is, though, players were cautioned for what is likely dissent arguing their case for the handball which in fact they were correct. For 60 minutes after they are on tightrope for a red, or could even miss next round for accumulation of cards.
Shouldn't have shown dissent then should they! ;)

Last edited:
Shouldn't have shown dissent then should they! ;)
Not saying the referee was wrong in this instance to issue, but they were issued because they were ranting about another players dishonesty.
He knew he done wrong and people are congratulating him for owning up and apologising.
He never got a card for attempting to deceive the referee. Yet others did pleading their case for the dishonesty.
In fact the only reason he confessed, after 4 minutes (which is actually a long time if you think about it), was because his manager and captain told him to after seeing video footage and knew the footage was damning. He stood firm until that point (or more to the point stood silent and cowardly). He even celebrated (delayed by a few seconds) the illegal goal.
If he had any guilt, he wouldn't have waited 4 minutes and intervention to fess up.

Not saying the referee was wrong in this instance to issue, but they were issued because they were ranting about another players dishonesty.
He knew he done wrong and people are congratulating him for owning up and apologising.
He never got a card for attempting to deceive the referee. Yet others did pleading their case for the dishonesty.
In fact the only reason he confessed, after 4 minutes (which is actually a long time if you think about it), was because his manager and captain told him to after seeing video footage and knew the footage was damning. He stood firm until that point (or more to the point stood silent and cowardly). He even celebrated (delayed by a few seconds) the illegal goal.
If he had any guilt, he wouldn't have waited 4 minutes and intervention to fess up.

Am all for the fair play, however we get there, and if cautions are needed for the dissent so be it
We absolutely cannot overlook the original offence though, as you point out, this was not a, oh guys am sorry, seconds after scoring, the cheating ( as there is no other word for it) has caused chaos. I absolutely would be concluding this decision reversal by pulling this player in, thanking him for his eventual honesty and saying, here is the yc for original handball.

If uefa or whoever wishes to recind the card later on, so be it.

Just to point out that I was just talking about a general concept. I hadn't and still haven't viewed the clip.

Back