A&H

Pushing in the back!

Guys, this foul is really starting to get under my skin, for some reason I seem to be very busy with it!
So a blatant push in the back, easy pickings, but it's the others the backing in with hands on the back, jumping together with hands on the back, hands on the shoulders etc....
Not sure if I'm looking for them or following the shout when the questions asked and then giving everything to show consistently but overal I know I'm giving to many!
Advice is welcone

The Referee Store
First test - do the defenders arms extend? If not, he is defending his personal space. Only if he pushes is it an offence. To pit your hands on a players back is not an offence.

Second test - has the attacker taken an obvious step backwards? If not, he again is defending his personal space = no offence. This, and the above, is incidental contact.

Hands on shoulder - does he either use it to lift himself or hold the opponent down? Again simply touching an opponent is not an offence.

Hope this helps...

as @lincs22 has said ... when players do the 'in the back' shouts I usually respond to, there was no pushing motion!
a player is allowed to stop someone backing into them ... think of it this way - if the defender didn't rest his hands on the attackers back, we'd have a lot more head clashes!

Try and be proactive before the 'foul' occurs. For example at throw ins saying something like "Keep hands down, watch the pushing"

Then the players know you're looking for it

I talk a lot to the players before incidents occur however I still feel this area just needs clearing up in my head.....

Try and be proactive before the 'foul' occurs. For example at throw ins saying something like "Keep hands down, watch the pushing"

Then the players know you're looking for it

The only issue with that is when they see you don't give the free-kick for what they see an obvious push, it creates a match control issue for you.
Pro-active is good but it can be a problem...You need to read the match situation to judge if it will have any effect or will they just ignore you.

I'm very proactive with this. But I am reminded from this thread about this idea of arm extension. Good points.

Round my way my colleagues seem very lenient with arms generally. I am AR in a lot of games where there is a lot of tugging, grappling, arms over the shoulder etc. I had a couple of nasty incidents in girls' teenage games where there was "hooking" (arm around the neck/shoulder while in motion) and I take it very seriously.

as @lincs22 has said ... when players do the 'in the back' shouts I usually respond to, there was no pushing motion!
a player is allowed to stop someone backing into them ... think of it this way - if the defender didn't rest his hands on the attackers back, we'd have a lot more head clashes!
Good point! This should help sell the decision in waving the minor offences away

Back