A&H

Push the ref

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Evening all, had a game today. One side already down to 10 for a dogso with handball. Ten minutes later a player gets agitated that I’m “giving him nothing” and has an outburst to that effect. And raises his hand to me on my shoulder and pushes me. I send him off for violent conduct and list it as unspecified on wholegame.
After the game he’s really apologetic and searches me out to apologise personally.
My query is, is red always right. It wasn’t excessive or even aggressive. But the fact he’s pushed me as a referee I felt he gave me no option.

The Referee Store
Yes, yes and yes.

Red all day. Doesn't matter the strength of the push, he push you. He out his hands on you and not in a "good" way.
I've been the victim of an assault from a player, and although not as "weak" as that, it's not nice.
If you'd let him off with anything other than a red, then next week it may escalate to a bit more than a gentle shove on the shoulder.

If you don’t send him, you set a precedent. He knows he’s done wrong and knows that a lengthy ban is coming his way. His apology is probably more him trying to get out of trouble rather than actually being sorry.

Well done for not putting up with anything physical towards yourself.... There is a red line and he crossed it!!

I don't think you can record that as a standard red on WGS, it needs to be done as an extraordinary incident as the standard punishment for a red card wouldn't be appropriate. I'd suggest contacting your CFA for advice.

Reactions: ARF
Back