A&H

Push occurring off the field

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
So at the weekend green v red. Red is running down the wing and cuts inside to go in the box. He knocks it past the defender and goes to run around him by running off the pitch. The defender spots this and takes a step off the pitch to make it harder for the attacker to get around. As the red tries to get back on the green defender pushes him. Now I blow for a free kick and bottle it a bit and say it's a free kick on the edge of the box. Now had they been on the pitch I think they just about would have been inside the penalty area. Should this still be a pen even if they aren't on the pitch?

The Referee Store
Please do not take my word on this but I don't think you can give a foul as it happened off the pitch? I seem to remember reading a scenario like this and the answer was no foul. I am probably wrong though

In true ref style I'll say the free kick was obviously for the initial contact as the forward tried to go around the defender, not the over the top push that happened off the pitch! ;)

Can't give a foul but can stop play to issue a caution (if a caution is required). Restart is drop ball where the ball was at the time you stopped play

LOTG:
If the ball is in play and the offence occurred outside the field of play:
    • if the player is already off the field of play and commits the offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball from the position of the ball when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play was stopped
    • if the player leaves the field of play to commit the offence, play is restarted with an indirect free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped (see Law 13 –Position of free kick)
OP:
The defender spots this and takes a step off the pitch to make it harder for ...

I'm with you @DaveMac and would have done what you said - but - splitting hairs - perhaps it could be the second bullet - given the player "took a step of the pitch" to commit the foul, rather than was already off the pitch ... IDFK

Can't give a foul but can stop play to issue a caution (if a caution is required). Restart is drop ball where the ball was at the time you stopped play

It would be a caution for the defender as he has left the field of play without permission to commit his push.

@SM - gonna caution the attacker for leaving the pitch without permission as well !?!?

... and then a 2nd caution for re-entering the pitch too ..?

@SM - gonna caution the attacker for leaving the pitch without permission as well !?!?

... and then a 2nd caution for re-entering the pitch too ..?
Come on, you know if momentum takes him off the pitch it is fine! :)

Attacker - No caution for leaving the field as play led the attacker to momentarily leave the pitch.
Defender - Caution for unsporting behaviour (you can also argue leaving the field of play)
Restart - Drop ball

If you're penalising the offence that happened while both are off the pitch then it's a drop ball.

A foul can only take place on the field of play.

Nearly correct :)

It's a DB and a caution. I think it's a ridiculous part of the law - it should be that anything like this is considered on the nearest line.

Because it's so ridiculous, if you can possibly argue it was slightly on the field (don't forget this includes the line), do so. If it's completely obvious then you're stuck.

Given he stepped into the path first, if this kind of occurred on the line then you could argue impeding before the push. That would at least justify an IFK - which would by far be better than a DB + caution. Of course you can still caution if you want to.

You cannot have an indirect free kick if there is contact between two players.

Where there is contact then it must always be a direct free kick.

eg: impeding the goalkeeper at taking of the corner.
- no contact = in direct
- contact = direct.

Unless the contact occurs... when both are off the field of play...

Then not a direct free kick.

Player leaves the field of play to make the contact? IFK.
Contact happens while both off FOP and didn't obviously leave FOP to make contact? Drop ball.

And yes, it's very weird.

LOTG:
If the ball is in play and the offence occurred outside the field of play:
    • if the player is already off the field of play and commits the offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball from the position of the ball when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play was stopped
    • if the player leaves the field of play to commit the offence, play is restarted with an indirect free kick from the position of the ball when play was stopped (see Law 13 –Position of free kick)
OP:
The defender spots this and takes a step off the pitch to make it harder for ...

I'm with you @DaveMac and would have done what you said - but - splitting hairs - perhaps it could be the second bullet - given the player "took a step of the pitch" to commit the foul, rather than was already off the pitch ... IDFK

I actually discussed this with Halsey on twitter, and read the very paragraph you quoted here. I asked a senior assessor and leader of referees in Oslo about it, and he said that if he leaves the field of play as part of the play, it is a IFK at the position of the ball. YC if you deem it was unsporting.

https://twitter.com/mortenag/status/557813115174543361

Last edited:
Back