A&H

Pundits in ignore clear and obvious referee error shocker!

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Good to see that the Match of the Day editors and pundits ignored the DOGSO foul on Salah in the Liverpool-Newcastle game, and the Son penalty appeal in the Spurs-Huddersfield match too.

I mean, to feature them would mean acknowledging the benefits of having VAR

The Referee Store
There is no argument VAR will have some benefits. The question is will it benefit the game as a whole?

Often we look at solutions in response to specific incidents rather than holistic impact.

I see where you’re going and offer Goal Line Technology as another in that category.

Moreover I think a legacy of it may well be a reduction in dissent. At the lower levels we see so much happen on TV that filters down to lower levels being imitated by so many that eliminating it may be reflected for us too.

Yes GLT works (still has some issues like in France). I am not saying if you don't look at a holistic view it will fail. I am saying you will have a much bigger chance of failure.

In my opinion VAR will become a victim of GLT's success.

I was watching the Liverpool match, and the thing with the Salah incident is that the referee was very clerly looking for some help from his assistant. Liverpool had broken with the ball at the feet of Salah - there wouldn't be many players in the world that could keep up with him, let alone referees in England who have just done 90 minutes.

For whatever reason, the AR didn't give the foul (I didn't see how up with play he was), which does make a good case for VAR, as that would have been a very easy decision to give and the referee clearly wanted the help.

I was watching the Liverpool match, and the thing with the Salah incident is that the referee was very clerly looking for some help from his assistant. Liverpool had broken with the ball at the feet of Salah - there wouldn't be many players in the world that could keep up with him, let alone referees in England who have just done 90 minutes.

For whatever reason, the AR didn't give the foul (I didn't see how up with play he was), which does make a good case for VAR, as that would have been a very easy decision to give and the referee clearly wanted the help.

From where the AR was, it would have looked like the defender made contact with the ball, rather than with Salah.......referee looked to be much to "in line" behind the challenge to see it clearly......

The solution is for the referee to get a wider angle......not to introduce 5 minutes of everyone scratching their heads waiting for somebody in a room 100;s of miles away from the ground to make a decision, which may, or may not, be the correct one.

From where the AR was, it would have looked like the defender made contact with the ball, rather than with Salah.......referee looked to be much to "in line" behind the challenge to see it clearly......

The solution is for the referee to get a wider angle......not to introduce 5 minutes of everyone scratching their heads waiting for somebody in a room 100;s of miles away from the ground to make a decision, which may, or may not, be the correct one.
I'm not so sure about that - don't you think that if the referee had sacrificed some proximity for some width, all that would have happened is he would have put the defender more in the way between himself and Salah, not less? Unless you're suggesting he could have got wider and also got just as far down the pitch, which I think just takes us back to him not having the speed Salah does.

I've said this before on other threads, but problems with the current form of VAR don't invalidate the entire concept. Regardless, this is a situation where the on-field officials clearly needed some help, it's clear enough from the first replay that I'd be really surprised if it took more than a few seconds, and I'm really not sure what the location of the VAR has to do with anything?

The only reason this isn't a bigger deal is because it was irrelevant to the result - if the match was poised at 1-1 at the moment this happened, it would be right treated as a major refereeing howler of the sort VAR is trying to reduce.

Back