A&H

Protocol for 2nd yellow (sin bin)

Gamespoiler

Player receives yellow card for a yellow card offence. Simple. Then shows dissent and shown yellow and sent to sin bin. Told he’s sent off, but do you show a red card?

I read it that you just show the second yellow and tell player he’s sent off.

Reason for asking is I did that in an OA game on Saturday. No one knew that a SB is classed as a second yellow. The team have since made a complaint that I didn’t show a red card. Just checking here please.

Thanks

A&H International
Well in theory sent him off. Just didn’t show Red but told him he can’t return and can’t be subbed. Obviously a brain fart moment

Laws have changed now. Sin Bins now count as standard yellow as well as temporary dismissal if first offence.
2nd yellow inc. for dissent is now a second caution and sent off, so you should show the red card. The whole can't come back thing but not sent off is done.

New process with sin bin = same old process before sin bin (e.g. from 2015) + 10min in bin IF first yellow is Y2/C2 for player

The best way I’ve heard it described was when my RDO said you can’t be sin binned on a second yellow. Therefore, it must be a red card (S7). I know that’s basically the protocol but I found it really helpful for clarification.

A very similar thing happened to me. I cautioned a player for persistent fouling and as I'm showing him the yellow he starts walking away applauding me, yellow back up in the air followed by red and me saying "off you go son". Manager shouts as he's walking off "he's autistic", I just shrugged my shoulders. Player continued abuse for the last 10 mins of game so extraordinary report entered. The club secretary said afterwards that the team have had numerous issues and the club are looking for a way to get rid of the team.

A very similar thing happened to me. I cautioned a player for persistent fouling and as I'm showing him the yellow he starts walking away applauding me, yellow back up in the air followed by red and me saying "off you go son".
Try to avoid phrases like this, they will only serve to get people's back's up. It won't win you any friends, not that sending people off ever does but hopefully you catch my drift.
Manager shouts as he's walking off "he's autistic", I just shrugged my shoulders.
I honestly think an acknowledgement here would help. "I appreciate you telling me that, but it's a persistent offending followed by clear dissent, I have to deal with it".
Player continued abuse for the last 10 mins of game so extraordinary report entered. The club secretary said afterwards that the team have had numerous issues and the club are looking for a way to get rid of the team.
What does law say about a player that has been sent off?

a sent off player has to leave the immediate vicinity of the pitch. Strongly recommend you don't continue the game until that happens. Unless Youth and there are no other safeguarding measures available, in which case, he sits down, he makes no further sound, or the game gets abandoned. I imagine if you spell it out very clearly for the manager that the behaviour will be dealt with and we don't restart until we're satisfied game is under control.

Try to avoid phrases like this, they will only serve to get people's back's up. It won't win you any friends, not that sending people off ever does but hopefully you catch my drift.

I honestly think an acknowledgement here would help. "I appreciate you telling me that, but it's a persistent offending followed by clear dissent, I have to deal with it".

What does law say about a player that has been sent off?

a sent off player has to leave the immediate vicinity of the pitch. Strongly recommend you don't continue the game until that happens. Unless Youth and there are no other safeguarding measures available, in which case, he sits down, he makes no further sound, or the game gets abandoned. I imagine if you spell it out very clearly for the manager that the behaviour will be dealt with and we don't restart until we're satisfied game is under control.
Not sure how to use quotations to answer.
Fair enough not using "off you go son", I said it because the player is the same age as my son.

I acknowledged just before kick off when the manager stated that she had 2 players with autism , 2 with AHHD and 1 with tourettes. I said I'll keep an eye on them however if they overstep the mark they will be dealt with according to LOTG.

The sent off player (u17s) was brought to the match with coach and her son and wasn't allowed to leave without the coach, in fair play to the coach she was telling him to shut his mouth / be quiet everytime he tried to have a go.

A very similar thing happened to me. I cautioned a player for persistent fouling and as I'm showing him the yellow he starts walking away applauding me, yellow back up in the air followed by red and me saying "off you go son". Manager shouts as he's walking off "he's autistic", I just shrugged my shoulders. Player continued abuse for the last 10 mins of game so extraordinary report entered. The club secretary said afterwards that the team have had numerous issues and the club are looking for a way to get rid of the team.
I'm autistic and it's no excuse, especially given the abuse continued after he was sent off.

Agree, if you are Mike "off you pop" Dean you might get away with it, I've probably said similar things at senior levels when I've been very experienced and confident. But a very risky thing to do when inexperienced and at junior levels as very likely to antagonise players.

Back