A&H

Promotions - Open Age 'Friendlies'

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
My area co-ordinator tells me that Open Age Pre-seasons don't count towards the 20 games for a 7-6 Promotion

I can't find anything in writing from my County F.A. that says that this is the case but, before I go back to him to query this, just wondered if anyone can point me to the relevant wording in any official document

cheers

The Referee Store
Not too sure of the official wording, but it does say that the matches have to be competitive fixtures (i.e league or cup fixtures).

My area co-ordinator tells me that Open Age Pre-seasons don't count towards the 20 games for a 7-6 Promotion

I can't find anything in writing from my County F.A. that says that this is the case but, before I go back to him to query this, just wondered if anyone can point me to the relevant wording in any official document

cheers
Would have thought you'd have twigged by now that each CFA is a law unto themselves and rules / regs change as soon as you cross a border! But yes, my understanding is that 'non-competitive' matches are ineligible unfortunately

Would have thought you'd have twigged by now that each CFA is a law unto themselves and rules / regs change as soon as you cross a border! But yes, my understanding is that 'non-competitive' matches are ineligible unfortunately
This is like feeding padfoot ammo, what you doing Russell??????? ;)

All of this sort of thing is covered at promotion seminars. It's like people who complain that they've only got 17 games in by the 2nd week of February. The promotion criteria is explained at the seminars each season and there is no reason for not clarifying which games count and which don't. Unless of course those who didn't hear were too busy placing their online order for vanishing spray for use in the Dog&Duck Sunday League ...

Just to clarify, do the 20 games that must be done BEFORE applying promotion only count middles, or do open age lines also count? Reason I ask is that I'm in a league with literally 3 x the number of officials as there are games to cover, so every game has 2 ARs assigned, and ill struggle to get 20 middles in per season, let alone before February!

For promotion from 7-6 only middles count. If you can't get enough games on one league then offer your services to another or consider refereeing on another day.

All of this sort of thing is covered at promotion seminars. The promotion criteria is explained at the seminars each season and there is no reason for not clarifying which games count and which don't.

Perhaps in west riding, brian, but not in west sussex. You seem to be suggesting that the people at county f.a's have more intelligence than some of us credit them with

Last edited:
Perhaps in west riding, brian, but not in west sussex. You seem to be suggesting that the people at county f.a's have more intelligence than some of us credit them with
Perhaps I'm thinking that promotion seminars should be run by Level 2 tutors who should be able to clarify any uncertainties and answer any questions asked.

If you think you'll struggle to get 20 middles you need to have a long conversation with the appointing officer. If that doesn't work look at a neighbouring league. Do you do Sat and Sun games. Last shout to get adult middles contact your county female football league. Usually Sun PM and if you have a reasonable level of fitness you could certainly do a line in the morning and a womens game in the afternoon.

From the womens games that i have done in the past, providing you can actually move i.e. not in a wheelchair, you could a line in the morning and a female game in the PM!

Last edited:
Back