A&H

Promotion..do i or don't i

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Had email today asking if i want promotion from Level 7 to Level 6..... pondering this one? my season only started November 2014 and done 4 games so far, Been refeering since 2005 but just started in Lancashire League.....hmmmmmm..:rolleyes:

The Referee Store
Do it... Very little difference in the games you'll do (at least round here) and just 1 more level out the way for if you ever want to progress further... Also nice to get feedback on performances via assessments

Reactions: SM
I had the same e-mail and I have to say, I'm tempted too.

I've got to push myself into open age at some point (been doing youth football for seven years) and I think it would really give me an incentive to get into it.

Go for it, you've got nothing to lose! :)

If you are going to be doing open age anyway then you might aswell go for it. If you don't succeed then you don't succeed

You need to get 20 games in by the end of this month, also I think you're supposed to have refereed for a season before going for promotion. Maybe it's different with your county.

You need to get 20 games in by the end of this month, also I think you're supposed to have refereed for a season before going for promotion. Maybe it's different with your county.

That's for this promotion season. This e-mail (assuming it's the same one) was about the 15/16 promotion season.

In my County you need to of done 5 games either middles or as assistant before going for promotion

This is my first OA season and I've applied. I asked about the year before rule but everyone I asked said just apply. The worst they can do is not accept you onto the promotion scheme which gives you another year to improve which can't be a bad thing :D

I've bitten the bullet and applied for my first ever promotion (L7-->6). I was in two minds about it due to the money involved.

By taking my promotion, I'll be reducing my income (initially), due to the appointments. At present, I do all junior football, and do a minimum of two games every Sunday. With a promotion, I may be able to squeeze two in max. Now, don't get me wrong, I want to do the promotion, but being a student moving out next year, I'm scraping pennies together...

However, I decided that long-term, it will be worth it and, if I decide to go as far as I can with refereeing, better to do it while I'm young, and try and spend as long as possible at the higher levels

I've bitten the bullet and applied for my first ever promotion (L7-->6). I was in two minds about it due to the money involved.

By taking my promotion, I'll be reducing my income (initially), due to the appointments. At present, I do all junior football, and do a minimum of two games every Sunday. With a promotion, I may be able to squeeze two in max. Now, don't get me wrong, I want to do the promotion, but being a student moving out next year, I'm scraping pennies together...

However, I decided that long-term, it will be worth it and, if I decide to go as far as I can with refereeing, better to do it while I'm young, and try and spend as long as possible at the higher levels
Around my neck of the woods, the rates in OA are better than Youth football by approx. £7 a match. I'd advise trying a Saturday OA league too if you can. It appears as though my CFA has more assessors available on Saturday than s Sunday and it could be the same for you. Doing both days will increase you chances of getting assessed regularly it would seem.

Around my neck of the woods, the rates in OA are better than Youth football by approx. £7 a match. I'd advise trying a Saturday OA league too if you can. It appears as though my CFA has more assessors available on Saturday than s Sunday and it could be the same for you. Doing both days will increase you chances of getting assessed regularly it would seem.

As it is, I get £20 per game refereeing in the junior league, and the adult league is (IIRC) £22+35p a mile.

My availability for next season (and the remainder of this) is going to be when Sheffield Wednesday are away from home, and every Sunday. The referee's head at my local CFA has said that I'll have to fulfil commitments on the line on a Saturday, which I don't mind, so I presume I'll get some assessments on my Sunday fixtures too

As it is, I get £20 per game refereeing in the junior league, and the adult league is (IIRC) £22+35p a mile.

My availability for next season (and the remainder of this) is going to be when Sheffield Wednesday are away from home, and every Sunday. The referee's head at my local CFA has said that I'll have to fulfil commitments on the line on a Saturday, which I don't mind, so I presume I'll get some assessments on my Sunday fixtures too
How do you find the Wragg league? Is it worth getting games with them? The Donny leagues serve me well but because of promotion I'm looking to try something different.
And my problem is DRFC not SWFC!

How do you find the Wragg league? Is it worth getting games with them? The Donny leagues serve me well but because of promotion I'm looking to try something different.
And my problem is DRFC not SWFC!

Credit where it's due, the Wragg League surprised me. I thought it'd be old blokes kicking one another cos they couldn't run, but it's actually quite a good standard of football, particularly in the higher divisions. There's a fair number of ex-pros/semi-pros playing in the league that have got some real quality

Back