A&H

Promotion...7-6

Tovadee

Level 6 Referee
Hi, I'm interested in putting my name forward for the 7-6 promotion scheme and need some advice.
I have been refereeing for the past 4 seasons, however I have only done youth football for the last 2 seasons. Would I still be eligible to apply for promotion if I get my 20 open age games in by the beginning of February 2015?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
You should have already applied for promotion for the 14/15 season.

You apply then do your 20 games......

Thanks for the reply. I have just applied for promotion for 14/15 (closing date is 1st Aug).
I plan to referee open age football and get my games in by refereeing Saturday and Sundays. I am worried as I didn't ref 20 open age games in 13/14, I wouldn't be accepted?

Officially, there's two lots of 20 OA games needed. 20 in the Mar-Feb before applying and then 20 in the Mar-Feb promotion season (at least 10 of which need to be sent in for possible assessment). But sure if there's a problem, Alan will let you know!

Which OA leagues you going to work on next season?

Welcome tovadee - welcome to the madness! You will soon come to learn who will give good advice, who will give bad advice and who will just provide madness in written word form. :D

You tried to sneak in without an introduction in the introduction section! Never mind. Welcome all the same.

Officially, there's two lots of 20 OA games needed. 20 in the Mar-Feb before applying and then 20 in the Mar-Feb promotion season (at least 10 of which need to be sent in for possible assessment). But sure if there's a problem, Alan will let you know!

Which OA leagues you going to work on next season?
The 20 before applying are not OA, they are any 11 a side matches

The best advise I'd offer is to join your local RA and get along to meet your more experienced colleagues. Second try to do some lines so that you can watch other refs close up and pick up their tricks and decide what does and doesn't work for you.

Totally agree with both of Darren's pieces of advice above .. I've learnt lots over the last eighteen months in exactly these ways. And James, regulations (bizarrely) vary from county to county .. in Hertfordshire where the OP is also from, the 20 games before applying also need to be OA, even U18 do not qualify

Promotion criteria should be the same across the country. But that would make sense wouldn't it.
Having done a fair few under 18 games I'd say that they are more suitable for a promotion candidate than a run of the mill div 5 game on Sunday morning.

This is a shame really as I did about 8 U18 games at the end of last season. As it is I'm carrying 3 over, I'll need to do lots of middles on Sunday to reach my 20

This is a shame really as I did about 8 U18 games at the end of last season. As it is I'm carrying 3 over, I'll need to do lots of middles on Sunday to reach my 20
Are you unavailable on a lot of Sundays? In my local league teams average 22 games a season and the season is often 30 Sundays long. If ou are available for just half, you could still clock up 15 Sundays and probably as many Saturdays as well. Don't underestimate your capacity for refereeing. One minute you'll have 10 games under your belt then come February that could be as high as 35.

Are you unavailable on a lot of Sundays? In my local league teams average 22 games a season and the season is often 30 Sundays long. If ou are available for just half, you could still clock up 15 Sundays and probably as many Saturdays as well. Don't underestimate your capacity for refereeing. One minute you'll have 10 games under your belt then come February that could be as high as 35.

Maybe I didn't realise how many sundays I do Brian! I ref most Sundays so I should hopefully clock up nearer 30 as you have suggested. I think the Sunday (promotion) season runs Sept to end of Feb. I make it 25 Sundays (not allowing for British weather). I feel more confident now that I will make my 20

If you think you may struggle to get the games in have you considered registering for your local women's league. Most areas the games are Sunday afternoons and are usually short of referees. Could be worth a call to your county RDO.

i managed to get 17 in from March to the end of the season with so many night games, takes a hell of a lot of pressure off for this season, still only assessed once so need 2 more.

Reactions: SM
Back