A&H

Promotion 18/19

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
It’s that time of the year again, and we’re a week or so into the new promotion season.

I thought I’d start a new thread for those of us going for promotion to his season.

I’m going 6-5 again after having to pull out of the last promotion scheme due to injury.

I already have 2 observations lined up, one on Sunday, and another towards the end of he month.

However, due to the number of games postponed due to the weather I’m expecting same changes as fixtures get re-arranged.

The Referee Store
Good luck

I've applied to do the 7-5, I am hoping that I can get the assessments required in

I've applied for 5-4 again - hopefully I'll be able to get through the fitness test without getting an injury. Got my first of 10 assistant appointments tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a good year! All the best to everyone on the promotion scheme.

I'm going for, I think the equivalent of 7 to 6. I took a demotion due to ill-health and being out of the game for a while, but my FA have been quite good with helping me slowly get back into the game again.

I won't be too sore if I miss out though, it's my first season back and I'm more than happy to take this season to find my feet again, even if Grandfather time is catching up to me now. :p

Well, that’s my first observation out of the way.

Bottom division women’s game, with not a lot to do.

No major incidents of note, just two cautions for reckless fouls.

Observer didn’t have any major points to bring up, just things like arcing my runs, when to write in my notebook after a goal of etc.

One thing I noticed is my fitness was lacking a bit, nothing that stopp d me from being able to keep up with play, but I think some of that is just being a bit rusty after not having a game for ages.

My positioning wasn’t great, but the standard of the football made it very difficult to keep to a proper diagonal, or to anticipate passes etc.

Obviously won’t know the actual score until I get the written report, but I think it would probably be standard expected.

Still, it’s good to get the first one out of the way, and at our promotion evening the RDO said that don’t be surprised if we end up having 4 or 5 observations as they just try to get people as many observations as possible instead of the minimum number required

6-5 for me this season. Were you at the promotion evening zarathustra given that we are in the same CFA?

I was due to have observations on my first 3-games of the new promotion season, 2-games in and both postponed. Not going overly well so far!

6-5 for me this season. Were you at the promotion evening zarathustra given that we are in the same CFA?

I was due to have observations on my first 3-games of the new promotion season, 2-games in and both postponed. Not going overly well so far!

Yes mate I was.

I’ve had 3 games postponed already this month.

I’m due to have another observation at the end of the month, but my men’s league is still trying to catch up on the pospon d cup matches etc, so I do t know whether that game will go ahead, or whether I’ll get re-assigned at the last minute.

Had my first observation yesterday, very physical and challenging game on a difficult pitch. No cards, a few public words but nothing silly from either club.
Observer said I tried too hard to let the game flow and kept the tempo too high.

Fitness was good, apart from a few times being caught out by long ball and not making up the ground quick enough.

Happy to get off the mark with a standard expected report, although I know I can do better

Good morning guys - I am on the 6-5 for the coming promotion period, had a postponement last weekend so hoping this Saturday goes ahead. All the best to everyone!

Waiting to hear from the FA for Level 4, I'm guessing that won't be till May. The wait the wait meh!

Waiting to hear from the FA for Level 4, I'm guessing that won't be till May. The wait the wait meh!
It was end of May last season too. How did the interview go? What did u get asked about?

It was end of May last season too. How did the interview go? What did u get asked about?

It went well, a very friendly chat and more of easing you into the level of expectations at the next level. Asking how do you think your season went? What were your highs (strengths) and lows if applicable. Then we discussed the club marks and any seemingly common development points that were highlighted through you observations (if applicable). Also commenting/discussing on stats regarding your disciplinary actions (Yellow cards, etc and any reasoning behind it)

For me the only low point (surprise) were my club marks, which were around 71-72 but the good thing is the games which were highlighted there is a huge difference between the marks of the 2 clubs involved in those matches. So some tips and advice on how to better manage such expectations at the next level.

The FA need to assess the number of higher level referees and see how many new L4s they require and in what location they need them, so it will be mid May.

Referees get annoyed and upset about this every year, in that they have been nominated but don't get accepted by the FA. There are a lot of factors that come into play. How many L4s are getting promoted to L3, how many are being demoted to L5, and how many are voluntarily stepping back to L5. Then, as lincs22 rightly says, geography comes into it. Using a theoretical example, let's say the Devon FA nominate 10 referees for L4, the FA will only take all 10 if there are 10 vacancies created by level 4s in that area being promoted, demoted, or retiring. There are only limited numbers of supply and contrib games to appoint to, so promoting too many to L4 would just mean they don't get enough games.

You just need to wait and see unfortunately. I know some referees who have averaged well over 73 over 5 observations and not been taken, conversely in a different season one referee averaged bang on 73 and was promoted. There's an element of luck in it as you need vacancies to become available in your region.

Referees get annoyed and upset about this every year, in that they have been nominated but don't get accepted by the FA. There are a lot of factors that come into play. How many L4s are getting promoted to L3, how many are being demoted to L5, and how many are voluntarily stepping back to L5. Then, as lincs22 rightly says, geography comes into it. Using a theoretical example, let's say the Devon FA nominate 10 referees for L4, the FA will only take all 10 if there are 10 vacancies created by level 4s in that area being promoted, demoted, or retiring. There are only limited numbers of supply and contrib games to appoint to, so promoting too many to L4 would just mean they don't get enough games.

You just need to wait and see unfortunately. I know some referees who have averaged well over 73 over 5 observations and not been taken, conversely in a different season one referee averaged bang on 73 and was promoted. There's an element of luck in it as you need vacancies to become available in your region.
Do you think that the upcoming changes to the pyramid at Step 3 / Step 4 will materially affect things @RustyRef ?

Thanks @RustyRef and @lincs22, I'm under no illusions that indeed there is that luck element. As you said, surely I'll be slightly disappointed if I miss out due to limited number of vacancies available. But then again I did everything I could throughout the season to best place myself. It is a long wait though and then you still have to go through the fitness test again!

Well my promotion attempt has taken another hit already.

I’ve had to close all my remaining dates for the season due to injury.

That leaves me with 18 games to get in before March 2019, instead of the 13 it should have been.

Should be doable, but if the weather is bad it might be a struggle

Back