A&H

problem with linesman

fulham1980

hi, i really enjoy refereeing , and i want to do a ref course but with he covid 19 looks like i have to wait, when a ref is not available i always try and stand in to help the games go ahead , i watch a lot of games and watch the positioning off refs etc.,

done about 20 games so far, but today i had an under 11s game which i had the linesman’s , but the away linesman was trying to tell me what to do etc., making bad decisions as he favoured his team , but there was this situation where the home team kicked the ball and the ball hit the away team player on the shoulder so it should be a throw for the home team , but this lineman said it’s still away team throw as coming of the shoulder doesn’t matter , i have not heard of this before and i wasn’t sure what to do ..So just gave the benefit of doubt,
second time , was one home team player was offside , even before the home team kicked the ball this linesman was ready to hold his flag up , so as the boy done a long ball , the home team player just stood still as not participating in the game , and the home team chased the ball and scored , this lineman’s said the boy was offside, , i said he was but the ball was not played for him and didn’t intervene with play , so i think i made the correct call , this linesman was shouting ref ref are you blind im waving the flag , do you need glasses , , to be honest i could of smacked him , lol but i was calm and said the boy wasn’t offside, , he was really ruining my game , what am i supposed to do ,

The Referee Store
IMO, if a club line yells at you, he’s done for the day. The sole job of a club line is to assist you in the way you ask him to assist. if he’s trying to undermine you, dismiss him and do without. And at 11U? WTF? He needs to get a life.

As described, it sounds like you had the calls right. (But don’t let a club line make up %#$% like the shoulder doesn’t count. It’s part of the player, so of course it counts.)

i work as a prison officer and i should of had a word with him , i lost my bottle today a little , but onwards and upwards ,got a nice game to ref tommorow under 15 local darby , to be honest i am blessed with the calls i am getting to ref games , i dont know why but a lot of refs are making themselves unavaiable could be due to the covid 19 , and overall the games i have reffed both teams have been impressed and like the way i go about things

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I called their manager over, explained what the linesman has been saying and asked him to replace the linesman which he did.

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I called their manager over, explained what the linesman has been saying and asked him to replace the linesman which he did.
theres alot of linesman who love to raise a flag , iv had a few with under 11,12 football, the thing is the boys see the flag and stop , if i see its not offside i wont give it , and explain to the lino once the ball has gone dead, ,for example the home team team pumped the ball up field but deflected of one of his own players to a player who was offside on the away team , the away player cant be offside , the boy scored to an uproar of i am cheating from home team parents , also it was in the last seconds of the game . . after the game i had the (the boy was clearly offside how could i not see it), and somtimes i have to explain myself and said you cant be offside if the ball is played to you from the other team ,

Once starting the game as the referee you are the boss for the game. While every one expects you not to abuse your powers, they should give you the respect you deserve regardless of decisions you make. If they don't, you sack them (sometimes you warn before sacking). That's pretty much the way it work everywhere.

theres alot of linesman who love to raise a flag , iv had a few with under 11,12 football, the thing is the boys see the flag and stop , if i see its not offside i wont give it , and explain to the lino once the ball has gone dead, ,for example the home team team pumped the ball up field but deflected of one of his own players to a player who was offside on the away team , the away player cant be offside , the boy scored to an uproar of i am cheating from home team parents , also it was in the last seconds of the game . . after the game i had the (the boy was clearly offside how could i not see it), and somtimes i have to explain myself and said you cant be offside if the ball is played to you from the other team ,
If it deflected off the defender he would still be offside. If the defender deliberately plays the ball then the attacker would be onside

hi, i really enjoy refereeing , and i want to do a ref course but with he covid 19 looks like i have to wait, when a ref is not available i always try and stand in to help the games go ahead , i watch a lot of games and watch the positioning off refs etc.,

done about 20 games so far, but today i had an under 11s game which i had the linesman’s , but the away linesman was trying to tell me what to do etc., making bad decisions as he favoured his team , but there was this situation where the home team kicked the ball and the ball hit the away team player on the shoulder so it should be a throw for the home team , but this lineman said it’s still away team throw as coming of the shoulder doesn’t matter , i have not heard of this before and i wasn’t sure what to do ..So just gave the benefit of doubt,
second time , was one home team player was offside , even before the home team kicked the ball this linesman was ready to hold his flag up , so as the boy done a long ball , the home team player just stood still as not participating in the game , and the home team chased the ball and scored , this lineman’s said the boy was offside, , i said he was but the ball was not played for him and didn’t intervene with play , so i think i made the correct call , this linesman was shouting ref ref are you blind im waving the flag , do you need glasses , , to be honest i could of smacked him , lol but i was calm and said the boy wasn’t offside, , he was really ruining my game , what am i supposed to do ,
If you are interested in becoming a ref and are reffing games arm yourself with knowledge of the laws. They are freely available on line.
You struggled. With this guy because you didn't know what the laws say. For example a throwin should be awarded to the opposition of the team that last touched the ball. If you learn the laws of the game you can then politely correct our Ill informed assistant. Also agree with socal lurker, I'd be binning him off and asking for a replacement or doing without.
Good call on the offside.

When I recently took the course and perused the laws again it specified that a handball is now considered a handball if it is armpit and below. I know this is a change from a few World Cups ago when Hulk from Brazil kept getting called for handballs for shouldering them down.

When I recently took the course and perused the laws again it specified that a handball is now considered a handball if it is armpit and below. I know this is a change from a few World Cups ago when Hulk from Brazil kept getting called for handballs for shouldering them down.

Until this year, the Laws were silent on where the arm ends. I was surprised to see where IFAB drew the line, as it was different from what was taught in the US--I'm *guessing* different opinions were out there in different places, and IFAB picked that one.

The updated laws of the game have a graphic which shows were the Arm begins and ends
Pages 104 & 105 of the new seasons laws of the game refers

The problem is the wording of the law doesn't completely describe the image supplied.

"the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit."

That line is clear when the arm is right next to the body which is apparently (always a natural position and) never handball. What happens if the arm is pointing straight up (like in a IFK signal)? Now draw a line 'in line with the bottom of the armpit?

And while we are here, what is the difference between the bottom of the armpit and top of the armpit?

theres alot of linesman who love to raise a flag , iv had a few with under 11,12 football, the thing is the boys see the flag and stop , if i see its not offside i wont give it , and explain to the lino once the ball has gone dead, ,

As a referee I always get around this by explaining the fact to both coaches. You could try this too. ;)

Something along the lines of "Remember guys, the 2 linos are there to assist me - not to make the decisions. If the flag goes up, it doesn't mean play will automatically stop, so tell your players to make sure they play to my whistle and not the linos flag". :)

As a referee I always get around this by explaining the fact to both coaches. You could try this too. ;)

Something along the lines of "Remember guys, the 2 linos are there to assist me - not to make the decisions. If the flag goes up, it doesn't mean play will automatically stop, so tell your players to make sure they play to my whistle and not the linos flag". :)
Yeah, this is why I tend to try and get captains and club assistants in at the same time where possible. Give the assistants the whole speech in front of the captains, including the key "There may be times where I see your flag but want to play on..." bit, so the captains know how I'm going to act with them as well.

Yeah, this is why I tend to try and get captains and club assistants in at the same time where possible. Give the assistants the whole speech in front of the captains, including the key "There may be times where I see your flag but want to play on..." bit, so the captains know how I'm going to act with them as well.
I do the same. I dont do youth so I imagine the impact is less, but I get a small amount of satisfaction when I hear the captains walk away and hear them tell their teams what I said. Because when it happens, I can recall back to that moment.
My spiel is along the lines of reminding them about the offside law, not an offence must interfere etc.
If you raise your flag 1 of three things will happen.
1. I'm happy it's offside, play stops idfk.
2. I over rule you. Please don't be offended if this happens, it could be for a number of reasons.
3. I want to allow play to Continue as I don't believe an offence has been committed, however, at the next natural break in play, goal or corner, we will talk to Confirm what happened. If it has no Impact on game, ie goal kick for example and its easier to continue then I'll make that clear.
Captains, with this in mind you need to warn your players to play to the whistle and not the flag.

It has come in handy on 2 or 3 occasions, and due to my instruction there has been no arguments. 2 I remember clearly were a goal awarded and a goal disallowed. Weirdly on both there was video and it was really pleasing to see the process arrive at a correct decsion on both times.

Welcome! I 100% recommend taking your course as soon as it is available. You should also consider joining the RA as they have really good benefits for members.

Yep pretty much what I say, but to the captains - 'Play to the whistle not the flag, most of the time I will go with them (CARs) but there may be occasions when I don't'

Reactions: Kes
I do the same. I dont do youth so I imagine the impact is less, but I get a small amount of satisfaction when I hear the captains walk away and hear them tell their teams what I said. Because when it happens, I can recall back to that moment.
My spiel is along the lines of reminding them about the offside law, not an offence must interfere etc.
If you raise your flag 1 of three things will happen.
1. I'm happy it's offside, play stops idfk.
2. I over rule you. Please don't be offended if this happens, it could be for a number of reasons.
3. I want to allow play to Continue as I don't believe an offence has been committed, however, at the next natural break in play, goal or corner, we will talk to Confirm what happened. If it has no Impact on game, ie goal kick for example and its easier to continue then I'll make that clear.
Captains, with this in mind you need to warn your players to play to the whistle and not the flag.

It has come in handy on 2 or 3 occasions, and due to my instruction there has been no arguments. 2 I remember clearly were a goal awarded and a goal disallowed. Weirdly on both there was video and it was really pleasing to see the process arrive at a correct decsion on both times.
I say the sum total of 'nowt of any substance' to the Captains. I've toyed around with speaking about Sin Bins and so on, but they're not interested.
I merely spout, 'let's crack on. We'll find out about each other after KO... Heads or Tails?'

In my mind, the biggest advantage to telling the captains to remind their teams (especially defenders) that the flags are for me is not that they will do it, but that if I wave down a flag and a goal scores, leading to complaints, I get to tell them that I reminded their captain before the game. A lot of value, probably not. (The only other substantive thing I would discuss with captains is if the game has extra time or PKs--but I'll also remind coaches of what the protocol is, too.)

I say the sum total of 'nowt of any substance' to the Captains. I've toyed around with speaking about Sin Bins and so on, but they're not interested.
I merely spout, 'let's crack on. We'll find out about each other after KO... Heads or Tails?'
This is just my AR brief.

Back