A&H

Prime example of why you need to carry out cautioning procedure

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
I was assistant referee on a game at weekend. I noticed that the referee had adopted what I call the Premier League caution as after about 30 minutes he ran in and threw is yellow in the air, no name just jotted his number down as he ran off. I as senior assistant did the same (after he had finished writing of course). Now around the 70 minute mark the referee does the same thing, to the same player and to my surprise does not follow with the red and moves to get into position. I shouted him over and informed him that he had in fact cautioned the player in the first half and that he should now be sent off which of course he did somewhat sheepishly, you can imagine what some of the remarks from players were. Luckily he hadn't re-started play otherwise he would have been in serious s***t.

I honestly think that had he carried out the correct cautioning procedure in the first place it would have stuck in his mind and he wouldn't have done that. I may be wrong he may have just done it anyway.

The moral of the story, team sheets or not, carry out the cautioning procedure properly.

The Referee Store
I purposely don't write the players names in my book (except subs of course) for that exact reason. It would be too easy to make a mistake.

The leagues I officiate in most Saturdays, there is no requirement for a teamsheet to be produced prior to the game. In the Navy Cup, other armed forces cups and in the cup's in Cornwall, there is a requirement for teamsheets before the game. Most of the clubs use the WG system.

I have offciated a game where I did take a team sheet, manager obviously put down the numbers in a rush... a friend of mine was playing and his shirt number didn't match what was on the sheet. When booking, it's just good practice (and obviously how we are taught on course) to take the number and name, that gets rid of the possibility of error. Don't always assume that the teamsheet is a true reflection :)

Back