A&H

Premier League: Week 1

The Bstard

A couple of interesting decisions to talk about. Courtois is being talked about elsewhere, but how about Troy Deeney's tackle in the box for Watford, or Cameron Jerome's disallowed goal for playing in a dangerous manner? Or even the Diego Costa 'penalty'.

Thoughts, people?

Jerome: https://streamable.com/bdpt

The Referee Store
I'd say the PIADM decision against Jerome was correct. The Palace defender (Ward?) makes an honest attempt to head the ball away but Jerome is just too quick. Sadly it was a play of the ball which threatened injury to Ward. BTW was an IDFK correctly awarded?

(Jerome incident) I agree, seems the correct decision - not sure if there has been guidance on this to the elite refs as it seems like there has been a lot of these PIADM freekicks given over the weekend?

Brave ref to disallow the goal mind!

Jerome goal should of stood. People have paid to see goals, not referees be pedantic with laws.

Deeney was a poor tackle but he didn't go into hurt the player. He is just over enthusiastic in trying to block the ball. Caution was good for me.

People have paid to see goals, not referees be pedantic with laws.
With respect, people go to see a game where there's fair play and the referee applies the laws without bias to either side. Each team is treated fairly and the result is honest.

Whilst I understand what you're saying, I really don't think it was particularly dangerous. This year's RA conference was all about "Understanding football" and giving what the game expects, and I think 'football' expected that to be a goal.

Jerome goal should have stood. That is never an IDFK in a million years. This is one of those where waiting just a touch to assess player reaction pays dividends!

Jerome goal should of stood. People have paid to see goals, not referees be pedantic with laws.

Deeney was a poor tackle but he didn't go into hurt the player. He is just over enthusiastic in trying to block the ball. Caution was good for me.

Deeney wasn't 'over-enthusuastic', he went in two footed off the ground, the very definition of endangering the safety.

Jerome I'm on the fence. I'd have given it, if only because I lack the balls to not...

Deeney wasn't 'over-enthusuastic', he went in two footed off the ground, the very definition of endangering the safety.

Jerome I'm on the fence. I'd have given it, if only because I lack the balls to not...

It was a block challenge. First game of the season, after working his way up from being a bricklayer and playing step 7 footballer as a teenager. Caution was fine.

What's there to be on the fence about? It's only some refs justifying it. The whole of the football community want it to stand.

It was a block challenge. First game of the season, after working his way up from being a bricklayer and playing step 7 footballer as a teenager. Caution was fine.

What's there to be on the fence about? It's only some refs justifying it. The whole of the football community want it to stand.
I find your arguments a bit strange. Why does it matter if it's the first game of the season? And yes, Troy Deeney is a physical football and I'm looking forward to him ruffling a few feathers this season but a bad tackle is a bad tackle irrespective of the players background. Where does that rationale end? Is a referee expected to have knowledge of every players background to make a decision? (If I have read correctly, Deeney was offered a trial week by Aston Villa as a youngster and he didn't bother turning up until late in the week.) Do all ex-bricklayers and/or former step 7 footballers get an exemption whereas those coming through the youth ranks should know better and deserve a caution?

I agree about the not sitting on the fence. As a ref we're paid to adjudicate by the laws of the game with common sense thrown into the mix. What we're not, are populist reactionaries who react to the general thoughts of the public. I make decisions on what I see happening in the game and within the framework of the laws.

Imagine the football world where the 'football community' decide.
  • You have a button on your Sun Goals app to declare if it's a goal/foul/corner etc.
  • On your Sky remote, press Red for goal, Green for offside, Blue for menu, Yellow for further options.
  • Vote online at bet365 (other gambling sites are available - bet responsibly) because your unbiased view is valued by the EPL.
  • Add a poll to your internet warrior blog.
  • Dial an 0898 number in the style of the X Factor/Big Brother/Strictly.
  • And there's always a postal address (a PO box somewhere in Derby probably) for the technophobes out there.
  • Have a weekly Saturday morning show for the 'community' to review all these decisions and 'confirm' the results from last week with a Results Show special and reveal the new updated league tables.
The buck stops with the ref in the middle, end of. He can work as a team with his assistants and fourth official but the final decision is his. And that's the beauty of the job.

Yes and common sense prevailed with the Deeney challenge. No one was talking about it after the weekend, whereas the Jerome goal was talked about.

Jerome incident. From one angle I can see why it was disallowed. Perfectly understandable, and therefore I won't criticise or argue against the decision.

Deeney actually appears to slip - and on the MoTD footage seems to say exactly that to the Everton player nearest. The lack of reaction by the Everton players is also telling.

Deeney's challenge was, for me, a yellow .... just! No malice and largely caused by a slip.

As regards Simon Hooper's decision to disallow the Jerome 'goal', on balance I think it was wrong but in real time it was very border line. Fair play to the defender for obviously sticking his head in there and giving an inexperienced premier league ref a decision to make! Personally I was more concerned / surprised by the decision not to give at least a yellow for the bad challenge in midfield in the first half (featured on MOTD).

Still think Deeney was a red. Player's background doesn't come into it

Agree with the Jerome call, the more I think about it.

Agree with Russell above about the bad midfield tackle

Back