A&H

Premier League Saturday - Sponsored by Red Card

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Four red cards this afternoon.

Everton vs Bournemouth

1. Richarlison - I think we covered this situation in the World Cup where someone got a caution for this. A tame attempt at a headbutt and he walks.

2. Smith - DOSGO pull on Walcott?

Huddersfield

1. Hogg - Looks like he blew his top with an exceptional push/headbutt.

Saints:

1. Hojbjerg - Second caution for diving of all things... Well, we wanted that clamped down in our World Cup discussion topics, Jon Moss listened to us apparently!

Anymore before we hit full time?

The Referee Store
Four red cards this afternoon.

Everton vs Bournemouth

1. Richarlison - I think we covered this situation in the World Cup where someone got a caution for this. A tame attempt at a headbutt and he walks.

2. Smith - DOSGO pull on Walcott?

Huddersfield

1. Hogg - Looks like he blew his top with an exceptional push/headbutt.

Saints:

1. Hojbjerg - Second caution for diving of all things... Well, we wanted that clamped down in our World Cup discussion topics, Jon Moss listened to us apparently!

Anymore before we hit full time?
You must have a dodgy dish in the garden

I watched full Bournemouth v Everton.

Richarlison RED CARD but done nothing more than SMITH do both should have walked.

Referee I think knew this as even after play restarted he was talking in his ear piece so evened up by sending off for DOGSCO on Walcott when perhaps a yellow would have been sufficient as Walcott didn’t even have control of the ball.

I watched full Bournemouth v Everton.

Richarlison RED CARD but done nothing more than SMITH do both should have walked.

Referee I think knew this as even after play restarted he was talking in his ear piece so evened up by sending off for DOGSCO on Walcott when perhaps a yellow would have been sufficient as Walcott didn’t even have control of the ball.
For me Smith's part in Richarlison's sending off was worthy of a caution at most. As for the DOGSO:
The following must be considered:
• distance between the offence and the goal
• general direction of the play
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• location and number of defenders
Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

What was the restart after the Huddersfield red card? Can’t work out why it wasn’t a Cardiff penalty.

Reactions: JH
Was the ball dead ?

Not seen it properly myself.

Just watched a replay. The ball wasn't dead before the altercation started - in fact it didn't go dead until Arter was already on the ground. Michael Oliver had his back to the incident and didn't see it so he would be relying on info from the AR nearest to the incident. I've no idea what information he was given and whether even the AR saw the whole thing but from what I saw, Hogg started the pushing. Arter pushed him back, then Hogg put Arter on the ground with what is being described as a 'combination push and head butt.' If the referee/AR had seen it that way then I think it should indeed have been a penalty to Cardiff. However it may well be that none of the match officials saw the initial push by Hogg and thought Arter started the whole thing. If so, the restart should have been a free kick to Huddersfield.

I don't know what the actual restart was - the replay I saw didn't include the restart.

Even if MO had stopped play for the second free kick, he could go back for the penalty. The more serious offence! A mistake by MO?
You only take the more serious offence if there are simultaneous offences. These weren't simultaneous - there was a sequence of three separate offences. When the offences are sequential, you have to take them in the order they occurred.

Now, I saw the first offence as being committed by Hogg which is why I think it should have been a penalty but if the officials decided Arter committed the first offence then Oliver would have been correct to give the free kick to Huddersfield.

(Incidentally, I have since found a full replay of the incident and its aftermath and the restart was indeed a Huddersfield free kick on the edge of the goal area.)

You only take the more serious offence if there are simultaneous offences. These weren't simultaneous - there was a sequence of three separate offences. When the offences are sequential, you have to take them in the order they occurred.

Now, I saw the first offence as being committed by Hogg which is why I think it should have been a penalty but if the officials decided Arter committed the first offence then Oliver would have been correct to give the free kick to Huddersfield.

(Incidentally, I have since found a full replay of the incident and its aftermath and the restart was indeed a Huddersfield free kick on the edge of the goal area.)
Agree with all of this. It's easier for the referee to deem Arter committed the first offence as it is probably the fairest (safest) outcome

Just watched MOTD and straight away wondered what the restart was.

Hogg started holding Arter - penalty.

If not, Hogg then pushes first - penalty.

Arter puts his arms on Hogg but no push, Hogg then throws him to floor - penalty.

Not sure how a Huddersfield free-kick was given...

Only saw bits and bobs so far

Fair play to Jon Moss, I give him a lot of stick and I watched the highlights not knowing anything about the game and soon as player went down in box, I said dive, but was convinced Moss would blunder and give a pk,

Smith is a red imo, I think folk get a bit clouded over the fact its not directly down the middle of the park...move it 5 yards to the left and am guessing more folk would be red...remember, its obvious opportunity, and it can be easy to make excuses to leave a defender on the park there...

Back