A&H

Premier League Matchweek 1 discussion

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
Thought Rob Jones was very good in the Manchester United-Fulham opener. Good spot on the Maguire dive, had a good foul bar, was consistent, and strong fitness. I thought he moved well late in a game that stretched. Hope the rest of the weekend goes as well for the third team!

A&H International
Thought him booking Andreas for kicking the ball (all be it quickly) off the defenders.

Wonder if he booked Andreas himself for delaying the restart, or if he booked him for kicking the ball off them.

Either way, the first I have seen that decision. Andreas, didn't even look phased.

Thought him booking Andreas for kicking the ball (all be it quickly) off the defenders.

Wonder if he booked Andreas himself for delaying the restart, or if he booked him for kicking the ball off them.

Either way, the first I have seen that decision. Andreas, didn't even look phased.
He booked him for waving an imaginary card. He explained it and then they showed it on replay. It was the AR that saw it and alerted the ref to it.

Although not the PL - I do not recall any controversies from last weeks EFL, the midweek League Cup or last nights 3-2 win by Coventry with David Coote in the middle. So far so good & with plenty of goals.

Livswich
Diaz interesting pen shout.
Liverpool’s kit is the ugliest and poorest cut i have seen since 1979.
A couple of fast flags were unexpected by the commentators.

Would anyone else of given Brererton Diaz a Red for the leading with the Elbow textbook SFP or even possible VC for me.
Not on UK TV, so unless people are overseas, or watching it on a dodgy stream, or MoTD show it, going to be difficult to comment.

I did see a clip of the Schar red card on X which has since been taken down. No doubt Brereton Diaz milked the contact, but if you put your head forward and make contact you are going to be in trouble. Certainly no way that VAR could get involved to overrule it.

Not on UK TV, so unless people are overseas, or watching it on a dodgy stream, or MoTD show it, going to be difficult to comment.

I did see a clip of the Schar red card on X which has since been taken down. No doubt Brereton Diaz milked the contact, but if you put your head forward and make contact you are going to be in trouble. Certainly no way that VAR could get involved to overrule it.
They could due to the obvious elbow prior so could argue it’s same incident I remember similar in Spain last year.

They could due to the obvious elbow prior so could argue it’s same incident I remember similar in Spain last year.
Either the clip I saw didn't see that, or I didn't think anything of it. He did barge into the back of Schar prior to the coming together, but if that is what you are referring to there's no way on earth that is a red card.

Watching the West Ham game...

What are people's thoughts on the penalty for West Ham?
I think it is just about a penalty. I get the "higher bar" for penalties but can see why given, but wouldn't be opposed if not and glad VAR didn't get too involved.
It's the commentators that are doing my head in here.
Keeps going on and on about the fact Cash got a "stud" on the ball, meaning he should be fine (not giving away a penalty). Sorry... Just because he got the ball in the entanglement between the two, doesn't mean it's not a foul.

Did I hear right that the commentators, with regards to the penalty, say that John Brooks said he got the ball but wasn't going for it or something similar....

Did I hear right that the commentators, with regards to the penalty, say that John Brooks said he got the ball but wasn't going for it or something similar....
They misunderstood or misinterpreted, seemingly what he actually said is Cash touched the ball but it was very minimal contact.

It felt a little soft to me and there was an element of normal football contact, but certainly not anything VAR could be getting involved with once it was given. Especially not with the new very high bar.

Either the clip I saw didn't see that, or I didn't think anything of it. He did barge into the back of Schar prior to the coming together, but if that is what you are referring to there's no way on earth that is a red card.
Saw it slowed down he catches him in the face more a red than the reaction for me but if you walk both I’ve no issue.

They misunderstood or misinterpreted, seemingly what he actually said is Cash touched the ball but it was very minimal contact.

It felt a little soft to me and there was an element of normal football contact, but certainly not anything VAR could be getting involved with once it was given. Especially not with the new very high bar.

According to Dale Johnson, Howard Webb's comments have been misinterpreted and the bar is not any higher than it was last season and referees call is just a replacement for the infamous clear and obvious.

Good use of VAR in the Everton game btw, not a penalty but you can understand why in the moment Simon Hooper thought it was.

You put your head towards another players head, you make the decision for the ref.

Ref did the right thing, but the initial foul should also warrant a caution as was unnecessary.

Reports that the Brighton incident was overturned without the referee seeing the replay as the screen wasn’t working. Does anyone know what happened here? Correct decision in the end.

Back