A&H

Prematch Warmup Routine

boulderdomb

I've been watching various different people recently and everyone seems to have a different routine.

Personally mines is a few jogs between the touchline and half way line with some sprints - mainly no set routine and no stretching although other refs seem to be more structued.

What do you do? When do you do your warmup? I usually do mines after I've inspected equipment and pitch.

The Referee Store
'Standard' warm up at my level when in a team of 3 (Centre ref is usually 4 or 5) consists of a jog round the pitch, 5 mins or so of stretching followed by some shuttles.

Some refs, and me when I'm on my own, finish with a graduated sprit or two across width of the pitch,

At our higher level competitions here, it's mandated that we follow the a specific warmup routine for referees based on the FIFA 11+ exercises.

It can be found here:
https://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CSA_Ref_Fitness_WarmUpRoutine_EN.pdf

At lower levels, it varies as to what people do. For me, it depends how loose I am when I arrive at the field. If I've cycled there or walked there, then my warmup routine is much lighter than if I travel in a vehicle.

Note: This is the type of "hamstring walk" to which they refer:

very interestingly the canadian advice states to get the best results from the warm excercise should be as soon as possible after the warm up, in senior football it is usually about 10/15 minutes between

very interestingly the canadian advice states to get the best results from the warm excercise should be as soon as possible after the warm up, in senior football it is usually about 10/15 minutes between
not hijacking the thread but refs who do warmed up as a team of three, what do you do after going back into the dressing room after a warm up

I used to get a bit of Snap, Crackle & Pop before my games, not the cereal, that was my knees creaking! :blackeye::smoke:

Amazingly, this is another practise which I find bewildering. Team work, be seen to be a team, yes, I get it. But, the basis for any warm up should be to make sure that YOU are ready, mentally and physically, for the task ahead.
Exact same as the players, you see the gk getting shots and crosses fired in, or you see coach throwing high balls for centre half to head away and so on
If it has to be as the referee team, some varying runs across half way line cant do much harm, but equally important I find when AR is to get to your line, this afterall is your patrol path/place of work for the afternoon. Find your footing, get used to how much or little room is behind you, visualise advertsing boards for example to use as lines across the pitch, and, you can even use the players warming up as a practise to get in line and move with the second last defender for a bit, you do not want to be caught cold, not just keeping up with play, but being out of place with your surroundings early on. Its your warm up. Make sure you are ready

Amazingly, this is another practise which I find bewildering. Team work, be seen to be a team, yes, I get it. But, the basis for any warm up should be to make sure that YOU are ready, mentally and physically, for the task ahead.
Watch teams warm up.

The BASIC warmup routine is identical for all players (including the goalkeepers). THEN they specialize in what they need for their specific role(s).

The idea of a warmup for match officials should follow the same logic. Get warm, and then specialize in the specifics you need for your position (ie, the 4O might practice lifting the sub board overhead a few times ;) )

not hijacking the thread but refs who do warmed up as a team of three, what do you do after going back into the dressing room after a warm up

Depends how efficient teams have been. Some hand in team sheets late, some bring match balls late. However if they ARE up to speed - its take off warm up gear, have a quick drink and/or loo break and if applicable fit and test buzzer flags.

Exact same as the players, you see the gk getting shots and crosses fired in, or you see coach throwing high balls for centre half to head away and so on
If it has to be as the referee team, some varying runs across half way line cant do much harm, but equally important I find when AR is to get to your line, this afterall is your patrol path/place of work for the afternoon. Find your footing, get used to how much or little room is behind you, visualise advertsing boards for example to use as lines across the pitch, and, you can even use the players warming up as a practise to get in line and move with the second last defender for a bit, you do not want to be caught cold, not just keeping up with play, but being out of place with your surroundings early on. Its your warm up. Make sure you are ready

In the Championship, that's exactly what I see the ARs doing, AFTER they have warmed up with the referee.

Watch teams warm up.

The BASIC warmup routine is identical for all players (including the goalkeepers). THEN they specialize in what they need for their specific role(s).

The idea of a warmup for match officials should follow the same logic. Get warm, and then specialize in the specifics you need for your position (ie, the 4O might practice lifting the sub board overhead a few times ;) )

Hmmmm NEVER seen GKs warm up with other players at QPR.

They come out about 10 minutes ahead of them for a start.

The only interaction is when sub GK goes in goal for shooting practice (Hasn't helped QPR though!:p)

Do what is needed for you. The "choreographed" warm ups look great, but everyone's bodies are different and need different types of warm up. Speaking as someone with knee problems, then moves like high knees and bum kicks are terrible exercises and no physio would ever recommend you do them.

Also time it properly, it is absolutely pointless going out doing a warm up if you then go back in 15 minutes before the bell as your body will have cooled down. Ideally you want to be back in 5 minutes before you go back out again.

At our higher level competitions here, it's mandated that we follow the a specific warmup routine for referees based on the FIFA 11+ exercises.

It can be found here:
https://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CSA_Ref_Fitness_WarmUpRoutine_EN.pdf

At lower levels, it varies as to what people do. For me, it depends how loose I am when I arrive at the field. If I've cycled there or walked there, then my warmup routine is much lighter than if I travel in a vehicle.

Note: This is the type of "hamstring walk" to which they refer:

This is an aha moment for me. This explains why all our younger academy-trained refs follow this routine. I've always tried to approximate it but now I see the source. Thanks for that;)

Back