A&H

pre-season leniency

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
Decided to go for the lenient approach in my pre-season game last night....despite thoughts of Padfoot waving an admonishing finger flashing through my mind as i did so

pre-match, pointed out to a couple of the players that their equipment might not pass muster when the league season started, black undershorts under blue shorts for one, 'I used to play in black shorts ref' and white tape around black socks for another. team colours were red/blue stripes / blue / blue v white / black / black so neither infringement worried me unduly

i did draw the line at a player wearing a stud under his bottom lip and he did remove it, despite worrying that his brand new piercing might close up

'can he cover it with tape, ref'
'nope'
'are you sure, ref'
'yep'

match was played in a good, positive and fair spirit though it did begin to get a little raggy towards the end. Tiredness, concentration, (players and ref, perhaps), leniency (ref), the fact that one team came back from 5-2 down to 5-4 down, with a 'stonewall penalty' denied by the ref in between times, so many factors that can come into play.

two players, i would have booked had it been a league game, one for delaying the restart (prevented an attempt to take a free-kick quickly), the other for 'diving' / attempting to deceive ref by feigning injury, (the 'penalty' denied). in both cases i told them that i would have booked them in a league game but let it go at that.

unfortunately, the 'diver' lost his head a little and, after what appeared to me to be a nasty attempt to tackle an opponent (could have been a stamp if he'd connected), i booked him for dangerous play.

on reflection, had i booked him for 'diving', he may not have made that later challenge....either that or i'd have been sending him off for two yellows.

i'm now thinking that cautioning when necessary is probably the best approach, competitive fixture or not ... but i'll still continue to leave my options open

forgive me, padfoot, for i have sinned ;)

The Referee Store
The joys of preseason games. :)

I bet that caution was popular! Players don't think cautions count preseason. I always remind them, they still get submitted to county fa. I tend to go for a very low tolerance to fouls (minimal contact only) but lenient with the technical offences which would lead to cautions. A joke and a don't do that again seeming to do the trick.

I had one diver a couple of preseason games back. Waved it away. An opponent standing next to me "Are you going to give him anything for that ref?". "A nine?" Ran off feeling proud of myself...

im going to jump straight in the deep end here, considering ive only just joined the forum!

i have 2 interesting and conflicting points to make:

when i first entered into refereeing, one of my pals (a few years older, and already a referee of 4 years) told me that leniency in pre-season / youth matches is something he would definitkly recommend as players appreciate it - after experiancing the similar to your events above, i went back to him on this - he told me that you should never think that you could have stopped an event happening if youd acted differently prior...interesting thought process...

now im back into referee, and also unrelatingly in touch with a long lost uncle who has been refereeing for a good 20 years (and also an assessor), i asked him the same question regarding leniancy...he told me that irrespective of age or competition a yellow card is a yellow card and a red is a red!

since then ive always treated every situation the same way... warning - yellow - warning - 2nd warning - red (this only differs in serious instances )

It is tempting to fall into the trap of going easy on players in pre season fixtures, and on the whole you often get away with it.
Unfortunately, there are times when players just aren't on the same page as you.....

What i tend to do now is to try and give them a bit of extra leeway, but once the cards come out all bets are off!

I'm glad pre-season is over - 'proper' football is sooooooooooo much easier to referee !!

I'm with the majority - especially with Supermonkey - I am more lenient during pre-season, to the extent that in 4 seasons of friendlies I can't remember using cards (can't remember anything really bad, over-the-top aggressive, fights, etc. - although - this may say more about my memory!)

Yes - hands up - this has bitten me on the bum a few times - maybe one game in 12 - where games have escalated beyond where I like them

In the majority - through 'chats' with players and managers - players have calmed down and / or they have been removed from the field of play

One rule though - I don't do "go and calm down for 10 minutes" - I know a few refs that do - seems to work for them - my personal preference though is not to use this technique

yellow /red reported mmmm friendlies I sent a player off last season (pre season friendly yes reported it violent conduct result 1 match ban from the next friendly ) how is this policed ??? but if the same player causes an abandonment he can be charged with misconduct :)

me personally let the players know from the beginning if you do start stepping out of line appropriate sanctions will happen no if no buts PERIOD just play football

yellow /red reported mmmm friendlies I sent a player off last season (pre season friendly yes reported it violent conduct result 1 match ban from the next friendly ) how is this policed ??? but if the same player causes an abandonment he can be charged with misconduct :)

good point re policing, mike

it was very exciting using whole game system for caution reporting though :)

I've always tried to be as lenient as possible in pre-season, something which has always served me well, until Saturday!

U17 game, a bit scrappy as you'd expect. I let a couple of challenges that would normally have been a booking go which was a mistake in hindsight. What followed was 5 minutes of madness, fouls all over the pitch. Thankfully, there was a break in play that allowed me to bring the captains in and I booked a player a minute later. Not too much to deal with after that. Lesson learned though, I lost control of the match because I let too much go.

As Padfoot says, the players aren't always on the same page as you. Lesson most definitely learned.

Edit: I appear to have agreed with @Padfoot, I need to lie down! :p

How do you guys get pre season games?

Just give number to managers you get a rapport with and hope they call you up?

i have our referee secretary of the league inform us of games sometimes, i also have a few friends that run their own teams so i help them out

I did my last preseason game last night. The worst thing that can happen in such a game is that one team starts to build up an embarrassing lead. And that is what happened. Just takes all the fun out of it, lots of frustration for the losing side.

And I had a low sun in my eyes for most of the and making running towards one goal a nightmare.

I did my last preseason game last night. The worst thing that can happen in such a game is that one team starts to build up an embarrassing lead. And that is what happened. Just takes all the fun out of it, lots of frustration for the losing side.

And I had a low sun in my eyes for most of the and making running towards one goal a nightmare.

Hate it when that happens. Wish we could wear sunglasses:)

How do you guys get pre season games?

Just give number to managers you get a rapport with and hope they call you up?
Never tried myself to get one but have been rang countless amounts of times for games but that May be down to my name being near the top of list of referee contacts for the league I mainly referee on

Back