A&H

Pre match talk

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
Grassroots div 1 game tomorrow with a team with poor disciplinary record this season. Both teams have history as well.

I am thinking of bringing in the team captains & Managers to exchange team sheets and just give a quick match expectations talk? I see this done at step 6 and above but not a grassroots any thoughts?

The Referee Store
It is your game to manage. If you have the charisma and professionalism to pull it off. Try it.

Approach with caution!

Rather than already try to manage the game before it's started, I try to get the human part. Have a short convo about the league table, good result last week, 4 subs today, few games left etc. show you are switched on.

More important you are crystal clear about any important laws, like substitutions, warming up, vests, technical area, kit inspection etc.

Ask the coach if they have any questions.
And make exactly the same points to both coaches. No surprises.

Last edited:
The only levels I have seen this mandated is some step 3 and 4 and step 2 onwards and I can't say anytime I have seen it any one seems like they want to be taking part in it.
The players/managers will not be used to it and my guess is it will hinder rather than help.
Just ref the game that's put in front of you, and whilst it's helpful to know it might be tricky approach the game with an open mind and without pre conceived prejudice.

Rather than already try to manage the game before it's started, I try to get the human part. Have a short convo about the league table, good result last week, 4 subs today, few games left etc. show you are switched on.

Honestly I find doing this always helps reduce offences like dissent much better than any official talk, particularly from managers. If they can see you as human, and also as someone who actually takes an interest in the game they’re more likely to respect you.

Honestly I find doing this always helps reduce offences like dissent much better than any official talk, particularly from managers. If they can see you as human, and also as someone who actually takes an interest in the game they’re more likely to respect you.
It’ s part of what I reach in the intro ref course—it’s easier to be. %#@$ to an anonymous ref than to a person you have interacted with.

I was asked if I wanted to speak to the players before my game today.
Said no.
They're adults. They've played the game long enough to know what to expect and what not to expect.
I then only say to captains at coin toss to control players (attitude, back chat etc) before I have to step in.
If I see no effort from the captain's to stop a caution then I'll take it they don't mind a caution.
That happened today so I cautioned. I have the offending player one warning to shut up, he didn't, captain stayed quiet during this so out came card.
Captain came running over and said "come on ref". I reminded him of what I said before the game and from them he told his players to shut up.

brief conversations with managers and players during their warm-up. Spoke with both team captains during the coin toss. Any instances of dissent were promptly addressed, free kicks awarded and a swift transition away from the situation so no time to have conversation with players as the game had restarted.

I did this for the first time a couple weeks ago, at a grassroots league I've had awful grief from in the past, resulted in the quietest game I've ever had.

Keep it short, light and some personality can really help. Assisted by the fact i used to play in that league so I could do a bit of self deprecating about how I'm too **** to play with them but I will keep up with play.

I don't give this kind of talk. I let my whistle do the talking. The match is probably over and played by now but here's my standard gamplan for any match, but especially for one with teams who have disciplinary records:

For the first ten minutes, we will call all fouls unless a clear and obvious goal-scoring advantage occurs immediately after the offence. During this time, we will not allow "trifling" fouls to go without being called and we will simply suffocate the game so that everyone knows where the line stands. After that ten minutes, we will allow play to flow more if and only if the players prove that they are prepared to play properly. If that indication doesn't come, then we will continue to call every little foul. If we do allow play to flow, then we will resume tight calls for the last 5 minutes of the half and the first 5 minutes of the second half as well as the last 10 of the match. Additionally, whenever a flash point occurs or the game temperature starts to rise, we will start another 5 minutes of tight control.

This has worked so many times and it's very surprising because we're trained to think that letting play flow and not penalizing small offences is what players want. It isn't.

Back