A&H

Pre-match talk

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm looking to improve my officials' team talk, as I'm going to be doing more middles with NARs. Are there any resources or any tips for improving it? I've only done one so far and it covered the basics, but I definitely want to improve it for the future.

The Referee Store
Have a look in the 'Resources' section, there are a couple of examples there

One suggestion as you think about this. Don't just have a set pregame you use. Pay attention to who your ARs are. Don't tell an experienced ref "stay with the last defender"--but that is something you may want to remind a newbie. Think about how you want to communicate within your team so that you are all on the same page. Think about what you care about for this game from your ref team--and that can vary depending on the level of the game as well as the level of your ARs. (and how much you have worked with them before).

Say as little as required, keep your powder dry.... Don't promise action on something because they'll have you when you don't deliver!!!

One suggestion as you think about this. Don't just have a set pregame you use. Pay attention to who your ARs are. Don't tell an experienced ref "stay with the last defender"--but that is something you may want to remind a newbie. Think about how you want to communicate within your team so that you are all on the same page. Think about what you care about for this game from your ref team--and that can vary depending on the level of the game as well as the level of your ARs. (and how much you have worked with them before).
Great advice, cheers! This is only my second time being in the middle with NARs and it’s a cup final and I’m pretty sure the other officials are quite young like me. Really looking forward to it

At least you've no fingernails left to chew this one over!! There are quite a few threads on this,,, have a look!!

Say something at least... :p

I had a game recently and the only thing I was asked was "Have you lined before?" said yes, and that was it. No briefing, nothing.

The senior A/R actually did more guidance than the referee on the day, in a discreet manner. Kind of happy that he did because it was a pretty surreal situation to be in.

But don't say too much. One lad I pair up with goes over everything in detail and I never remember what he started on by the time he finishes and he's done it every single time that I wonder if I'm not doing things right for him? :p

I think social lurker makes a really good point actually. The pinned thread others have mentioned is a great resource for briefing inexperienced AR's or as a guide for a ref who's unfamiliar with using NAR's, but I've done enough lines now that hearing someone churn through that entire speech is hard to focus on. As a fairly experienced AR, there's a short bullet point list of things I want to know from the ref pre-match:

* Who's senior/junior and what should each of them record?
* What's my area of credibility for fouls and how does that change inside the area?
* What's my area of credibility for throws?
* Do you want me flagging foul throws?
* Do you want me checking GK's or prioritising offside?
* How fussy are we going to be pre-match (tape, undershirts etc)?

There's probably a few other things I'm forgetting, but the point is that we can easily stand there for 5-10 minutes and I'm only going to need to pick up a maximum of 10 bits of information. Everything else (offsides, positioning, what to do at a mass con etc.) is standard and doesn't change game-to-game, so time spent going over it is wasted and only serves to bore experienced AR's.

I think social lurker makes a really good point actually. The pinned thread others have mentioned is a great resource for briefing inexperienced AR's or as a guide for a ref who's unfamiliar with using NAR's, but I've done enough lines now that hearing someone churn through that entire speech is hard to focus on. As a fairly experienced AR, there's a short bullet point list of things I want to know from the ref pre-match:

* Who's senior/junior and what should each of them record?
* What's my area of credibility for fouls and how does that change inside the area?
* What's my area of credibility for throws?
* Do you want me flagging foul throws?
* Do you want me checking GK's or prioritising offside?
* How fussy are we going to be pre-match (tape, undershirts etc)?

There's probably a few other things I'm forgetting, but the point is that we can easily stand there for 5-10 minutes and I'm only going to need to pick up a maximum of 10 bits of information. Everything else (offsides, positioning, what to do at a mass con etc.) is standard and doesn't change game-to-game, so time spent going over it is wasted and only serves to bore experienced AR's.
But as a referee, having never worked with you before, how do I know that you both know all those other bits. You'd be surprised with inexperienced assistants what they think they should do. Or what they don't do that is "standard" to you. Having the pants bored off you is the lesser of 2 evils.

But as a referee, having never worked with you before, how do I know that you both know all those other bits. You'd be surprised with inexperienced assistants what they think they should do. Or what they don't do that is "standard" to you. Having the pants bored off you is the lesser of 2 evils.
Each individual ref's decision if/when to implement a shorter chat of course. But there are a few refs I've AR'd for multiple times, if the shoe was on the other foot and I was in the middle with a pair of AR's I've worked with before, I might adopt a shorter chat at least

You can talk as much as you want—your ARs are only going to absorb so much. Choose what’s important to focus on, and maybe they’ll remember the things you care about.

If the ARs are unqualified club officials I simply ask them for ball in or out and offsides and to be prepared that I might overrule them if I think they are wrong. All other decisions are mine and mine alone. If they appointed (and therefore qualified) ARs, its a different story other than I might overrule them if I think they are wrong.

If the ARs are unqualified club officials I simply ask them for ball in or out and offsides and to be prepared that I might overrule them if I think they are wrong. All other decisions are mine and mine alone. If they appointed (and therefore qualified) ARs, its a different story other than I might overrule them if I think they are wrong.
The decision is always yours no matter who the AR is :)

Up until last Sunday i had never refereed a game with assistants nor had i ran the line.

I got to my venue and knew i was involved in three games and when i arrived was told i was doing one middle and two lines.

I was more nervous doing the line when they told me, first game was a 9 a side and a stroll, then i done my middle U13s cup final which i found easy to referee but felt a bit uncomfortable with liners until it grew on me during the game.

The last game was an U14 final where i was back on the line and have to say really enjoyed it, it was a busy first half with 5-6 tight ones but think i got 100%.

Not sure how much this helps the original post, all my referee said was to the captains at the toss, introduced us by name and that was that really.

Back