A&H

Pre-match 'Respect' Handshake

Who does this?

• Always

• Mostly

• Sometimes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
It depends on if I want to kick off 5 minutes late because I received the team sheet late or 10 minutes late because I had the team sheet late and they want to do the ceremonial handshake too ;)

The Referee Store
Given it's mandated by some leagues, it can certainly make a difference to you getting good matches from them or not!
I see that but WHAT difference does it make.... really?? Are games any better or is it just window dressing???? Did Henderson get some leniency because they had just shook hands??

I see that but WHAT difference does it make.... really?? Are games any better or is it just window dressing???? Did Henderson get some leniency because they had just shook hands??
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm far from convinced that it makes any difference. But (like so many other things in the game now), there are situations where we do what's expected because it's what's expected.

I do find that being "a person" rather than the anonymous "b**trd in black" is the best single thing you can do as a ref to cut down on dissent and more, so I suppose the theory is that it helps with that process. Same for turning the opponents into "a group of guys" rather than "the enemy".

It might help or it might be useless. But as long as it's expected and you're not forcing a stuffy ceremony on players who don't usually do it, I don't see how it could possibly hurt?

Back