Pre-match 'Respect' Handshake

Who does this?

• Always

• Mostly

• Sometimes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Referee Store
It depends on the league rules. Is there an overarching dictate from the FA that says this should happen at all games? Our local Saturday morning youth league has it in their rules but last week was the first time I'd ever seen a ref organise it.

I do it on u18 football because the league rules say I have to. It's like a ceremonial dance. I'm not sure it has any effect tbh

Generally determined by league rules. If in doubt, do it when you're working in a team of 3, don't when you're on your own.

Reactions: JH
League convention. There's only one league I do that mandates the Respect handshake, and that's womens second tier.

I have invoked it a couple of times as a way to reset in e.g. tournaments after some bad blood in playoffs.

It's just not a thing here unless it's the top couple of divs (small Nordic country;))

This is all down to competition rules, if they say it has to be done then you do it, if they don't then there is no ceremonial handshake.

The only real exception there is cup finals where it is kind of universally accepted that they will be done there.

Regardless of league rules, I do this at EVERY game without fail even in friendlies. I see this as a big step forward in setting the tone of the game early doors and even though some players joke about it, it really does make a difference to players attitude and respect to each other. Some people may disagree but at OA it works for me.

Regardless of league rules, I do this at EVERY game without fail even in friendlies. I see this as a big step forward in setting the tone of the game early doors and even though some players joke about it, it really does make a difference to players attitude and respect to each other. Some people may disagree but at OA it works for me.

So what do you do if the players say they don't want to do it or even downright refuse to do so?

So what do you do if the players say they don't want to do it or even downright refuse to do so?

I’ve done it on Saturday afternoons and even Sunday mornings and no one has ever refused to do it. I always get the captains to organise the players and do it just before coin toss.

I also join the back of the line and shake every players hand. Don’t think you have to do that but again I think it sets a good tone with the players. Again...just my way of doing things.

I do it. Starts the game off nicely.

At my Referee course they also suggested that once everyone's lined up it's a good time to do equipment checks. Yesterday was my 5th game and the first time I followed that advice and I really felt better able to control that aspect - previously I was walking up to players that were having a team talk standing in a circle and it was difficult to organise/get their attention.

A possible issue with doing the equipment check at the handshakes is that there's very little time to get something changed if it is needed. I tend to ask the coaches if it's ok to do the check 20 mins before the start and each team lines up nicely when asked.

A possible issue with doing the equipment check at the handshakes is that there's very little time to get something changed if it is needed. I tend to ask the coaches if it's ok to do the check 20 mins before the start and each team lines up nicely when asked.

Yes I do share that concern. In contrast I did a game 2 weeks ago and checked everyone with 20 minutes to go. Then they all went back into the changing rooms before kickoff for a final pep talk - they could all have changed their boots to something dangerous(!)

This is really not an issue.

The only thing that would be time consuming would be if there is a clash in kit colours, something that you can absolutely deal with in advance of the kit check.

The things you'll pick up on in the kit check will be

Jewellery- it comes off please (most of the time they'll get it off, if not then they can join the game when it's off - no delay.

Sock Tape/Undershorts - reality is, unless it's causing a kit clash, you're not going to ask them all to change their sick tape.

Dangerous Boots - I've never seen it, only induce I've had to ask a player to change and that was because the ground had artificial surface which didn't allow blades and one player was wearing them. His team mates all gave him stick because apparently he tried it on every week!

No Shin Pads - easy to fix.

It's easy to do whilst in line and as long as you've got timings (in terms of getting the teams lined up with a few minutes to spare), doesn't impact kick off time at all.

True. But at supply/contrib level players are only checked as they leave the changing room or as a sub seconds before they enter the FOP so the issue is not as big a problem as you would think.

I do it. Starts the game off nicely.

At my Referee course they also suggested that once everyone's lined up it's a good time to do equipment checks. Yesterday was my 5th game and the first time I followed that advice and I really felt better able to control that aspect - previously I was walking up to players that were having a team talk standing in a circle and it was difficult to organise/get their attention.
Line-up is too late for equipment checks. Need to be proactive long before then (at least I do :) anyway!)

Back