A&H

Pre match checks

Rory

Level 7 Referee
Hi I’m doing my first game this weekend not sure what age I just know it’s in the central Warwickshire league would you recommend I do pre match checks before each game it’s not something I thought about till I read a post on here ??

The Referee Store
Yes. Check the nets and the pitch markings, most common things in grassroots football are nets not being secured (meaning ball can sneak in from outside the goal or go straight through looking like it's no goal), no corner flags (you can apply spirit of the game here). I've had penalty spots marked in the wrong place. Public parks you're also likely to get dog mess on the pitch (which is the responsibility of the home team to sort, not you).

Obviously boot and jewellery checks for players as well.

Basically what you don't want is a major surprise to you in the game when you have to give a decision and having players/coaches in your ears over it.

I ref in this league and I always check the nets, there normally secured fine, only had 1 this season that I needed somebody to cable tie. Can normally see the corner flags. I don't check boys for jewellery but do check the girls as they normally have it on!

I ref in this league and I always check the nets, there normally secured fine, only had 1 this season that I needed somebody to cable tie. Can normally see the corner flags. I don't check boys for jewellery but do check the girls as they normally have it on!
Cheers mate I’m a bit nervous but it should be fine

Apart from the obvious (to the experienced I should add), if there are no 10 yard markings on the goal line, pace out 10 from the corner arc.

If anyone then encroaches (tends to happen at 'short' corners) you know where to stop them without having to go over there.

Back