A&H

Pre-Match Briefing

RefJack

Hi all,

I am new to this site, so I'm sure there will already be a hole discussion on this however I can't find it :(

For a standard Saturday/Sunday local youth match, when you call the club assistants out what do you ask from them and what do you ask them not to flag for?

thanks,

The Referee Store
I just say offsides, don't give fouls because being a club assistant they will see it differently.
Just ask them if they know what they are doing in general and if they are going to change at some point during a match(If a sub is running the line)

Keep it as short and sweet as possible. Just left backs, throw ins and offsides. Plus when they give an offside to stay exactly where they were so the defending team knows where to take it from, sounds simple to us but always found its something they struggle to grasp. Would not let them anywhere near giving a fouls.

Finally ask if they at happy with the offside and if they have any questions.

As far as Percolator is concerned wouldn't be saying lets f*ck em at youth football may get some weird looks or worse case arrested ;-)

Thanks guys, I tend to find anyway that the majority of club assistants would prefer to just stand there drinking coffee speaking to the parents rather than actually assisting me but that just makes it a bit more interesting for me:p

I normally tell them "thanks for volunteering" (even when I know they haven't). I ask them for a big strong flag to show ball in and out of play, throw-ins, corners and goal kicks. I normally tell them that I will go with them whichever way they decide, but if they see me indicating a different direction and see that I am not changing, they are to reflect my call as I may have seen a deflection that they may have missed. Offsides, as above, really. Indicate to me if you see a player in an offside position and they receive the ball. I may not go with you if I feel that I am in a better position to make a more informed decision. I also tell this to the captains and tell them to tell their players to play the whistle, not the flag.

Pretty much the same as above, depending on the age/condition of the 'volunteers'. SOme old guy out walking his dog (yup, had that!) is never gonna keep up with the 20-something defender, so I often ask just for in/out of play signals.

I always make certain that the players know I will be taking the lead in offside decisions, and that I will ALWAYS give any benefit of doubt to the attacker as per the LOTG, so play to the whistle!

Back