A&H

Pre-Game Conference

parkerh

Level 8 Referee
When I conduct a pre-game conference with my assistant referees what types of personal preferences for their signals/actions should I let them know I have?

The Referee Store
Its all down to you

Personally I go for "flag straight up for offside so I see it, not straight onto pitch, and please give throw direction clearly if you see it. Please leave everything else to me. Thank you for your help and I hope I see you on the pitch before long"

No need to over complicate, 30 seconds per AR should do fine, or even better, brief both together if its feasable to do so, with the captains at the toss

For me it depends if they are club AR's or Neutral AR's ... if they are club AR's I tell them that throw ins if the ball is in an in/out situation ill go with you, but for the direction if I see something I may over rule you. If its right infront of you I'll go with you.

For NAR's, I go through everything. From Throws, to subs (for senior) to PK's etc. But its all on what you prefer. Some refs like to split the pitch up into thirds (my third your third and our third etc)

Some of you reading this will think CAR's only throws? Our county FA only allow them ball in and out. So they tend to stand on the half way line, not move and only do throws....

For me it depends if they are club AR's or Neutral AR's ... if they are club AR's I tell them that throw ins if the ball is in an in/out situation ill go with you, but for the direction if I see something I may over rule you. If its right infront of you I'll go with you.

For NAR's, I go through everything. From Throws, to subs (for senior) to PK's etc. But its all on what you prefer. Some refs like to split the pitch up into thirds (my third your third and our third etc)

Some of you reading this will think CAR's only throws? Our county FA only allow them ball in and out. So they tend to stand on the half way line, not move and only do throws....

Re your last paragraph Karl. Surely that is a case for letting CARs have offsides as well, as that gets them more involved/interested?

I have to be honest in the last few weeks I'm getting increasingly fed up of dealing with adults acting like school children disagreeing with the CAR and in many cases the CAR just flagging for fun. More hassle than its worth sometimes

fortunatly in scotland we are not allowed to let car give offside, given that most car are club subs or officials as far as i know you are letting supporters decide offside, strange

Re your last paragraph Karl. Surely that is a case for letting CARs have offsides as well, as that gets them more involved/interested?

They arent allowed to in Durham mate. County rules.

fortunatly in scotland we are not allowed to let car give offside, given that most car are club subs or officials as far as i know you are letting supporters decide offside, strange

Same for our county FA, some allow it, some dont.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here CARs always take care of offsides, of course players take advantage of that to say "Oh come on ! Not again, look by yourself ref he flags all the time !", usually a simple "You know how it works, I do look but unless it's obvious, I can't go against him" if the player is still not convinced, I add something like "unless you want me to toss a coin every time the players appears to be roughly on the same line" and usually they agree.

But in fact I found that at least 80% of CARs are very honest and fair play people, sometimes their own defenders argue with them because they didn't flag an offside :p

I have refereed in two different systems with CARs. In Warrington, Cheshire the system was as KB said. CARs did whether the ball is out (only down the touch line) and i dealt with directions, offsides and everything else. In Staffordshire where I now live, the CARs do the whole lot with exception of free-kicks and it is so much better that way. They tend to do it most weeks, know what they're doing, and know that they won't get away with any cheating!

Reactions: KB
Think back to when you've been an AR. Has there ever been any situation where you weren't sure what the referee expected of you? If so, cover that situation in your prematch!

You have time for a 'Conference' Pre-Match. What time do you turn up for games. I usually just have a chat :)

Back