A&H

Praise when deserved?

BES

Had my first game a on a new higher league in Saturday. Good and easy game in general but had a number of league officials watching so was keen to do a good job.

CAR had been a bit flag happy but went with him as his positioning was good and was not 100% sure he was ever wrong but a few were dubious that the opposition also picked up on. In the last minute a long clearance sends a striker clean through. Trigger flag to go up....but his run began in his own half so confident car was wrong I allowed play to continue. Alas he scored and his team won the game.

End of the game losing manager told league officials that my decision was going to cost me marks. Winning manager said I was correct and got it spot on.

So whilst I lose marks from one manager I bet I don't gain marks for making a brave decision to over rule a lino in the last minute from the other manager. Very frustrating.

The Referee Store
But I thought all clubs and managers knew the rules :confused:

Is a bit of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation..

Lets be honest if I give team A a dodgy penalty and they win 1-0 then they'll give me a good mark and team B will mark me down. Swings and roundabouts.

Had my first game a on a new higher league in Saturday. Good and easy game in general but had a number of league officials watching so was keen to do a good job.

CAR had been a bit flag happy but went with him as his positioning was good and was not 100% sure he was ever wrong but a few were dubious that the opposition also picked up on. In the last minute a long clearance sends a striker clean through. Trigger flag to go up....but his run began in his own half so confident car was wrong I allowed play to continue. Alas he scored and his team won the game.

End of the game losing manager told league officials that my decision was going to cost me marks. Winning manager said I was correct and got it spot on.

So whilst I lose marks from one manager I bet I don't gain marks for making a brave decision to over rule a lino in the last minute from the other manager. Very frustrating.
Welcome to the world of club marks. Well done for being brave enough to overrule the AR

Brian, do you know if county promo bods take into account the differential between team marks In a match?

Brian, do you know if county promo bods take into account the differential between team marks In a match?
They won't, they just look at the average. I remember a few years ago that a team marked me as 65/100. It was the first mark they had awarded in about 5 years. It dragged my average down by about 4 marks and cost me a semi-final middle.

This why I think club marks are useless and if I go out each and every I don't do it for club marks I do it for the game

@ref craig totally agree. At the new of the day you could pretty much predict your club marks at the end of a game from the managers attitude and decisions you've made. Disallow a last minute equaliser and they are marking you down etc. Its silly really. But football is an emotional game and hard for people to distance themselves from that element and make impartial decisions when marking you.

Club marks are inverse to good refereeing. You either go with the "least damaging" option or the "right" option when making decisions...

I never look at club marks anymore. If you are going for promotion from 7 to 6 they don't count for anything, do they ?

When going for promotion are the low scores looked at and possible reasons for it taken into account. If your sending three of their players off and giving pens against them etc then they'll mark you low. But will that be taken into account?

Yeah when I went for promotion from 7-6 I lost sleep because the last couple of games I did before I sent me sheet off I had given two penalties in the last 5 mins of one game to the home side and dissalowed a last min goal from home team in the other one. This caused my marks from potentially being high to 65+70/100. They were both absolutely correct calls both penalties were stonewall and the offside, although tight, was correct.
My other scores from the season were more than enough to get me through. It's just that worry that doing something correct will ironically affect you in a bad way !

Yes they do @Duncan Francis thats why its such a farce

Club marks will make no difference to promotion at 7 to 6 and 6 to 5. Certainly in Herts if you're getting good assessments then you will get the promotion you deserve! Worry about impressing the assessors, not the clubs!!!

I don't think they have an impact on promotion at 5 to 4 either, but they become important in staying at 4 and going further. However, by this point you're probably being marked by the chairman or the secretary who will be much more impressed by a referee who's doing his job properly than they will be hacked off if they've lost.

I did a cup quarter final a few weeks back. Booked 5 home players, sent 2 home players off, and awarded an injury time penalty to the away side when it was 3 all. The home Secretary and chairman were very pleasant and complimentary in the bar after, apologising for their players behaviour.

Club marks will make no difference to promotion at 7 to 6 and 6 to 5. Certainly in Herts if you're getting good assessments then you will get the promotion you deserve! Worry about impressing the assessors, not the clubs!!!

I don't think they have an impact on promotion at 5 to 4 either, but they become important in staying at 4 and going further. However, by this point you're probably being marked by the chairman or the secretary who will be much more impressed by a referee who's doing his job properly than they will be hacked off if they've lost.

I did a cup quarter final a few weeks back. Booked 5 home players, sent 2 home players off, and awarded an injury time penalty to the away side when it was 3 all. The home Secretary and chairman were very pleasant and complimentary in the bar after, apologising for their players behaviour.

I have seen it happen otherwise in one of our neighbouring counties although youre right in Herts Alan does a great job with the assessing and seems to be well done.

Just to chip in on club marks, I recently did a Womens Premier League game.

95 from one team, 61 from the other.

Both tosh. Never been that good, and the low one is sour grapes. Nice average though -which is probably more accurate :)

Just to chip in on club marks, I recently did a Womens Premier League game.

95 from one team, 61 from the other.

Both tosh. Never been that good, and the low one is sour grapes. Nice average though -which is probably more accurate :)

And that has to be the hope where club marks do play a part in assessment .. that whilst there is always likely to be a disparity between winning and losing teams, the combined average might bear some relation to the reality of the performance .. especially if balanced over a wide range of teams / matches through the season

Club marks are inverse to good refereeing. You either go with the "least damaging" option or the "right" option when making decisions...
To be fair though I think that's also what assessor's like, especially when you look at how professional games are refereed.......

I suppose there has to be some way to get past the fact that some referees are terrible unless they know an assessor is watching

Back