A&H

Post Lockdown games

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Hello all,

Thought it might be an idea for those of you lucky enough to have officiated since the guidelines for a safe resumption of football have been in place to put your experiences on one thread.

How have you found the players/team/club officials - happy with the protocols or at least if not happy complying? Any specific new difficulties during the match?

Anything that is relevant to the new 'normal' really.

Not had a game yet personally, read through the guidelines and don't have a problem with them, EXCEPT for the washing kit at 60C!

a) Kit won't last that long at that temp and
b) Where has that come from, haven't EVER washed ANY clothes at 60C and haven't seen that recommended anywhere else so why now and just football?

Anyway over to you!

The Referee Store
I’ve now done three games, here are some tips/observations from me (I’ll put them in separate posts to make it easier should anyone want to comment on any points.)

TIP:

Perhaps this is me just be paranoid ( it is!) but in last night’s game I gave a drop ball. In all my games, I haven’t touched the ball with my hands - I squash the ball between foot and floor to check pressure, players will quickly tell me if ball is flat.

So, the drop ball. No drama, I pick the ball up, drop it, play continues. 30 seconds later, a minor infringement, I blow my Whistle. I realise (in horror!) that I am now bringing my hand to my mouth which had touched the ball 30 seconds earlier.

Solution: I made a mental note that for drop balls I should only handle the ball with my left hand (I am right handed, whistle is in right hand, would naturally scoop up ball in right hand for a drop ball)

20 mins later, I had another drop ball, picked up ball with left hand - felt odd, but felt safer.

Flags.

So far my games have all used CARs, and I have thought a lot about my flags. Both teams from last night’s game told me they will be providing and using their own flags (a good thing that should, I think, become the norm) but that they have not yet arrived. For all three of my games, we have used my flags - this is the protocol I have developed.

At coin toss, I have flags on ground at centre spot so CAR can pick them up. Inevitably, cars will change during game, they just hand flags to each other - not a lot I can do about this. At the end of the game, I collect my flags back in, and I put them directly into a plastic bag. Then - and remembering to do this before I reach for my well earned drink - I wash my hands. I have a separate water bottle that I have filled with soapy water (water + fairy liquid)) give my hands a good squirt, and wash them. Only then do I reach for my water bottle for a drink. (would do this - wash hands first, before getting a drink - even if flags aren’t involve I.e. at half time.)

Then, when I get home, I take the flags outside, wash them thoroughly in my back garden, and leave them outside to dry. Wash my hands, then hop in the shower.

I’ve now done three games, here are some tips/observations from me (I’ll put them in separate posts to make it easier should anyone want to comment on any points.)

TIP:

Perhaps this is me just be paranoid ( it is!) but in last night’s game I gave a drop ball. In all my games, I haven’t touched the ball with my hands - I squash the ball between foot and floor to check pressure, players will quickly tell me if ball is flat.

So, the drop ball. No drama, I pick the ball up, drop it, play continues. 30 seconds later, a minor infringement, I blow my Whistle. I realise (in horror!) that I am now bringing my hand to my mouth which had touched the ball 30 seconds earlier.

Solution: I made a mental note that for drop balls I should only handle the ball with my left hand (I am right handed, whistle is in right hand, would naturally scoop up ball in right hand for a drop ball)

20 mins later, I had another drop ball, picked up ball with left hand - felt odd, but felt safer.
This is what I have said I will do.. I am very Concscious of the fact that after touching the ball you won't be able to sanitize until the next stoppage which might need to blow your whistle. I intend to get some clip on hand sanitizer so that I can regularly sanitize my hands during the game.

Yes, instead of dropping it, put it on the ground, trap it under your foot and release when ready. Materially no difference to dropping it - as long as both teams know what you're doing.
The FA guidance to referees specifies that the laws of the game apply, so IMO a dropped ball should be a dropped ball.
Taking your argument forward, would you suggest a kick-in instead of a throw-in to avoid the need for a player to handle the ball?

Reactions: ARF
The FA guidance to referees specifies that the laws of the game apply, so IMO a dropped ball should be a dropped ball.
Taking your argument forward, would you suggest a kick-in instead of a throw-in to avoid the need for a player to handle the ball?

I was wondering if i could get away with doing a kick up, then the ball being in play when it touches the ground.

Thinking out of the box.

I think a throw in isn't a comparison, as its not a neutral restart.

Just my thoughts on it.

I think the current wisdom would say that the liklihood of infection from touching the ball, even if someone playing is sick, is very small. The initial concerns about surfaces being the risk seems to have morphed into the air issues which seem to be the bigger concern as scientists have recognized the importance of how much virus you get exposed to. Mind you, I'm not saying there is zero risk, but by the time I feel it is safe enough to be on the field (unless the we get new info on the science), I'm going to be comfortable handling the ball on a DB if necessary. But I'm also not going to criticize those who want to take more precautions than I do. (I heard about a tournament in the US that is bringing together 350 teams and requiring refs (not players) to wear masks during the game and to use e-whistles or other non-blown sound makers.)

I think the current wisdom would say that the liklihood of infection from touching the ball, even if someone playing is sick, is very small. The initial concerns about surfaces being the risk seems to have morphed into the air issues which seem to be the bigger concern as scientists have recognized the importance of how much virus you get exposed to. Mind you, I'm not saying there is zero risk, but by the time I feel it is safe enough to be on the field (unless the we get new info on the science), I'm going to be comfortable handling the ball on a DB if necessary. But I'm also not going to criticize those who want to take more precautions than I do. (I heard about a tournament in the US that is bringing together 350 teams and requiring refs (not players) to wear masks during the game and to use e-whistles or other non-blown sound makers.)

I agree, I think the chances of catching Covid from handling the ball are small, but where practicable we should be doing all that we can to minimise that risk further.

The downside to me giving the ball a quick squish to check its pressure before kick off are negligible, so thereFore it makes sense to not do it. Likewise, if I must handle the ball, makes sense to do so with my non-whistling hand.

As an analogy, I think of Team GB cycling. From the 1904 to 2004 Olympics, they won a total of one gold medal. In 2012 they wiped the board. They achieved this not through one single advance, but by improving many factors by 5%. In the absence of a vaccine, I think that is what we must do with Covid - make many simple adjustments: social distancing, masks, not touching the ball etc where practical and appropriate in an attempt to break the cycle (no pun intended!) of transmission.

I agree, I think the chances of catching Covid from handling the ball are small, but where practicable we should be doing all that we can to minimise that risk further.

The downside to me giving the ball a quick squish to check its pressure before kick off are negligible, so thereFore it makes sense to not do it. Likewise, if I must handle the ball, makes sense to do so with my non-whistling hand.

As an analogy, I think of Team GB cycling. From the 1904 to 2004 Olympics, they won a total of one gold medal. In 2012 they wiped the board. They achieved this not through one single advance, but by improving many factors by 5%. In the absence of a vaccine, I think that is what we must do with Covid - make many simple adjustments: social distancing, masks, not touching the ball etc where practical and appropriate in an attempt to break the cycle (no pun intended!) of transmission.

Its looking increasingly likely that the GB success in 2012 is not due to marginal gains but that's for another forum!

In cricket we sanitise every 6 overs. Theres just an acceptance that the risk is really small from cross contamination via a ball. Its not something to unduly worry about imo, although obviously it makes sense to avoid touching it when possible. The sanitising breaks in cricket are counter productive anyway, as everyone on the field is socially distant and then we all get called to gather around sanitising stations.

The key is not to look to stop all contact with the ball etc, just to minimise whenever possible. Get rid of the small stuff like handshakes, changing rooms etc. Do jewellery checks from a distance. Hopefully the idea of turning up 90 mins before games will be readdressed and officials will reduce the amount of time spent together pre match (whilst still having effective conversations and warm ups etc).

I think refereeing will become more clinical. Less of the formal stuff and the niceties. Less interaction with players and management (whilst still having those interactions when necessary or beneficial). Less/no post match drinks/food. No waiting around for cash payments post game etc.

Yes, instead of dropping it, put it on the ground, trap it under your foot and release when ready. Materially no difference to dropping it - as long as both teams know what you're doing.
Theres absolutely a material difference. As the ball is in play once it touches the floor.
I was wondering if i could get away with doing a kick up, then the ball being in play when it touches the ground.

Thinking out of the box.

I think a throw in isn't a comparison, as its not a neutral restart.

Just my thoughts on it.
Still not dropped.

Well, Law 5 doesn't say it has to be dropped from the hands . . . so if the ref has the skill to do it, he could lift the ball with his foot, and then drop it from his foot . . . :rolleyes:

Notice the guidance also says the officials to return home to wash kit and shower straight after the game. Does that mean we won’t be doing more than 1 game in a day? I regularly do 2

Back