A&H

Positioning - Help & Thoughts Please

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
Folks, would welcome some guidance and points of view with regard to improving my positioning .. especially with regard to play that develops after goal kicks.

I start well positioned (I think!) ang get a good side-on view of the initial challenge, sandwiching the play and players between myself and the AR. But from then on I find things get tricky if the ball falls to the team who were defending the goal kick. As they start attacking, I struggle to get across to the far side of the pitch without getting too close to / involved in the play. So end up with the choice of staying on the 'wrong' side of the pitch (without a view of my AR) or losing perspective by being too near to the play.

Bright ideas really welcomes as this is starting to bug me (and my assessors!)

The Referee Store
Hmmm. I find this a bit of an issue too. What I've tried is to start a bit closer to the goal line so if the defending team attack you can try and go round the back, although I fear this is a dangerous tactic to adopt. Help from those more senior than myself much appreciated!

There's often too much importance placed on the getting play between the AR and yourself. That's the ideal position, I grant you, but it is not always best to make the move to that position. What I'm picturing in my mind is that you've come across to the correct position for the goal kick, the ball falls in the position you anticipated and then you're trying to run across the field to get play between you and the other AR quickly leading you to either be in the way of the next pass or literally run into the ball carrier's path. In this case, wait to see how the now-attacking team develop their play and adjust accordingly. If they decide to move forward, wait until they have moved five or so yards and then begin to loop around the back of the play quickly; if they decide to go backwards, then you can probably just shoot across directly. Either way, put more emphasis on being in the right place to see an incident than being in the right place to see your AR. If there's an offside, you'll figure it out sooner than later.

Thanks Ryan! What you're picturing is far more extreme than the reality (brings to mind me trying to run blindfold through a player infested centre of the FOP minefield whilst dodging the ball at every step ;)) but frustrating and too frequent for my liking nonetheless.

Your advice to prioritise being in the right place to see incidents ahead of great sight of my AR will be very helpful

Got to agree with Ryan. Don't put too much emphasis on the AR. If the ball goes into his opposite corner, he is realistically only credible for offsides and if there is a hint of this you can quickly turn and check. Concentrate on getting to that third of the pitch rather than all the way over and as Ryan said, loop around the back

The position you adopt is good for the first phase of play. The majority of the time there will be two immediate phases of play from a goal kick, firstly an aerial challenge and then the 'second ball' on the ground. A lot of players will be in or around the half way line and usually slightly to one side. What I find useful is to look at where the players are that are not going to be involved in the aerial challenge - they are going to be the ones involved in the next phase of play and the ones I will need to adjust my position for (as I am already in position for the aerial challenge).

Basically think what is going to happen after the initial challenge and where is the best route to a good position.

Thanks Observer, good stuff to think about. Was actually assessed last weekend and praised for my positioning so I'm obviously starting to take a few of the lessons onboard :) . Onwards and upwards ... (hopefully!)

Back