A&H

Portugal V France

A&H International
I say this as someone who is a big fan of Michael Oliver. A team like Portugal with Fernandes, Ronaldo, and Pepe is a big challenge for any referee. Oliver's always really calm and measured on the field, but I feel like you need an "a$$-chewing" mode when dealing with guys like those three. Maybe since Oliver always has the same demeanor that defuses some of the crap those guys can provide, but I've always felt like Oliver would do well with an "extra gear" in his man-management tool kit.

But on the other hand, he is refereeing in the quarterfinals of a major European competition, so he's obviously doing something right. :)

Couple of great no calls already. And sensibly stopped play at Ron’s head “injury”.

(This Portugal team would be out of sight with another striker. Gutted for Jota at this point.)

Admittedly not as intense and chaotic as the first game today, but overall I felt Oliver managed things very well. Players seemed to respect him. It probably did help him that Fernandes was (inexplicably) subbed out in the second half.

Back