A&H

Portsmouth V Sunderland

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
Anyone giving a red for the Portsmouth player throwing the ball at the Sunderland players head?

Hope the fan gets banned for a few years for kicking the Sunderland player.

The Referee Store
Nah. It was stupid but it was excessive force. Should have gone for the kick out on the ground just before though but unfortunately for the AR, he was almost too close to see that

The referee notified stewards/police but the cameras stopped focusing on him after that

I do hope he was removed. Good on the referee to do that, but personally, I wouldn't have started the game until he was removed.

If the referee waited, it highlights it even more and you'd hope more measures would be taken to prevent things like that from happening.

I do hope he was removed. Good on the referee to do that, but personally, I wouldn't have started the game until he was removed.

If the referee waited, it highlights it even more and you'd hope more measures would be taken to prevent things like that from happening.

You don't get that choice at that level. The police and stewards are in charge of the crowd and safety, not the referee.

As it happens the offender was removed, although I don't know if he was arrested or charged.

You don't get that choice at that level. The police and stewards are in charge of the crowd and safety, not the referee.

As it happens the offender was removed, although I don't know if he was arrested or charged.

Really? But he tried climbing over the barrier? Surely there is an immediate (although probably unlikely) threat to all players safety?

How about at grass roots?

Really? But he tried climbing over the barrier? Surely there is an immediate (although probably unlikely) threat to all players safety?

How about at grass roots?

Yes, at grass roots is totally different, or even at supply or contrib where there are no police, you could technically suspend the game until the offender is removed.

But not at the top levels as that is what the stewards and police are there for.

The police and stewards are in charge of the crowd and safety, not the referee.
The referee is still involved, and can still hold off on restarting until the situation is appropriately safe again.

There was an incident last fall in an MLS match where the referee pulled players off of the field due to safety and instructed one of the managers to talk with the offending section (even while police/stewards were trying to deal with it also).

Back