A&H

Porto v Belenense

Jorik0907

Soooo we've got another example of goalkeepers having serious leeway when challenging in the box. Guy had to go off by ambulance. What do we make of this? I would like to say I'm going PK and SFP here.
Or do we think this is just an unfortunate collision? Can see the arguments for both sides
Edit: point of contact added in true VAR style. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtafcnUXcAUw91Z.jpg

The Referee Store
SFP for me. Clearly not intentional but intent here has nothing to do with it. When leading with your fist and elbow, the onus is on you to makes sure it doesn't land on someone's chin. It would have been only an unfortunate clash if the two bodies slammed into each other.

Yeah I think it has to be a foul and a red, but it's so unfortunate. All three players running at pace in almost opposite directions. A clash is inevitable.

But it was an accident?

(tongue firmly in cheek here 😁)

Its unfortunate but he has endangered the opponents safety so I think a red card and a penalty kick was the proper outcome.

Yep, attacker was clearly onside so they don't even have the incorrect VVD defense to fall back on. Easy red, easy penalty - I'd have been disappointed to miss that on my first day as a referee.

I am looking at the attacker and his actions. He jumps into the contact with the GK (whether this is a reaction to the impending collision, a means of self defence, or an attempt to play the ball I don't know).

I'm also looking at the GK and the attacker and their eyes. I think they both look at the ball.
Would the GK have played the ball if the defender hadn't cleared it? I don't know.

The GK dives into a challenge hands first, the attacker jumps into a challenge body first. Neither get the ball.
Based on outcome (serious injury for attacker) it looks bad for the GK.

Accidental - no, I don't think so, the players need to be more careful. Both GK and attacker are at fault here. Attacker's challenge is reckless, GK's is SFP. IMHO

Accidental - no, I don't think so, the players need to be more careful. Both GK and attacker are at fault here. Attacker's challenge is reckless, GK's is SFP. IMHO
That would be an interesting s***storm I would love to see 🤪

Back