A&H

Pop quiz....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
You are a promotion seeking candidate....you are being observed....2nd half of game and it's substitution time...

Do you:
a) conduct the procedure by moving to meet the player at the halfway line, check their equipment etc

Or

b) stay where you are, give them a thumbs up and do nothing more than wait for the players to sort themselves out?

The Referee Store
the first two parts of the scinario, and the beginning of the third part, are superfluous to the situation.

so what you are asking is ".....it's substitution time" t which there is only one anwer;

B (runs an hides)

On the assumption it's a L7, I wonder how much instruction he's been given on what is expected of referees at grassroots level?

Obviously when watching PL football, the referee would have a 4th assistant to do any and all checking, so that's not a good example. And as a newly qualified referee, I knew what was expected of the players - but I was never taught what my role was to be in that. It wasn't until an early assessment where it was mentioned that I was expected to "monitor" the substitutions in any way, and another assessment or two after that until I realised what that actually meant.

Also, on the assumption I've checked all player's equipment at the start of the match, are we then expected to check again when the subs come on?

Last edited:
Never assume anything.
OK. *I* check all players equipment at the start of the match, because....I just do. Am I expected to check again when they come on as a sub? And if so, what specifically am I looking for that I wouldn't catch at the start?

OK. *I* check all players equipment at the start of the match, because....I just do. Am I expected to check again when they come on as a sub? And if so, what specifically am I looking for that I wouldn't catch at the start?
I think the idea is that you check the player's equipment when they come on as a substitute in case they have had a chance to change anything that you wouldn't have noticed. They may have sharpened a stud while sitting on the touchline, or may simply have removed their shin pads. Also, the higher you go, generally you wouldn't check the substitutes' equipment as they come down the tunnel, but would instead check (generally the assistant) just before they came on.

I think the idea is that you check the player's equipment when they come on as a substitute in case they have had a chance to change anything that you wouldn't have noticed. They may have sharpened a stud while sitting on the touchline, or may simply have removed their shin pads. Also, the higher you go, generally you wouldn't check the substitutes' equipment as they come down the tunnel, but would instead check (generally the assistant) just before they came on.
I assumed this would be the logic - little strange given we don't recheck kit after half time, and there's just as much of a chance of shenanigans there?

In one of my 7-6 assessments I got a comment that I should have been checking players names / kits for subs, despite the fact it was roll on roll off (maximum of 5 subs), and the league doesn't give out team sheets.

This was the head assessor of the county too.....

On the assumption it's a L7, I wonder how much instruction he's been given on what is expected of referees at grassroots level?

Obviously when watching PL football, the referee would have a 4th assistant to do any and all checking, so that's not a good example. And as a newly qualified referee, I knew what was expected of the players - but I was never taught what my role was to be in that. It wasn't until an early assessment where it was mentioned that I was expected to "monitor" the substitutions in any way, and another assessment or two after that until I realised what that actually meant.

Also, on the assumption I've checked all player's equipment at the start of the match, are we then expected to check again when the subs come on?

Of course I can't speak for other counties, but it was drummed into us by one of our tutors quite heavily to perform the checks on the halfway line every time a sub comes on. In honesty I've increasingly neglected it somewhat, and only employed it to it's full capacity in about half my 10 or so games. With rolling subs it's a nightmare. I suppose the law is there for a reason though, so I should stop being a lazy **** and put the extra 30 yards running in each time to do it properly again.

Back