A&H

Polar RS400 Heart Rate Monitor

RefJack

Hi All,

I need to get myself a Heart Rate Monitor, I've been told the best one to get is the Polar RS400 but I've never once used it and was wondering what people thought of them?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

The Referee Store
I have one and it's a good bit of kit, once set up right.

I do have problems with it losing my heart rate which makes the data corrupt when you download it, but I'm sure it's me and where I place it.

Would recommend getting one.

I've used the Polar RS400 for more than 5 seasons. It is a good piece of kit and when combined with the foot pod can help you train effectively.

I've used the Polar RS400 for more than 5 seasons. It is a good piece of kit and when combined with the foot pod can help you train effectively.

Did you have any problems with it?

I keep losing the heart rate, some matches it's fine others after 10 mins I get nothing for the rest of the half.

@SteveAustinRef that sounds most likely that the chest strap isn't tight enough. I had this previously on my RS400, and it was where the elastic element of the strap had stretched a little with use. Try tightening it a bit.

Also, make sure you throw the strap in the wash every so often to help clear out any sweat build up on it.

I agree with ASM that a good rinse of the strap after each use prevents the build up of salt within the strip which impacts on the signal. The other thing which I noticed impacted on the performance of the unit was the battery in the strap unit and also the watch. Although they worked together, sometimes the signal would lock out or flat line at a particular heart rate. Once I swapped out the batteries in both, their performance was spot on.

Just as a general question do the heart rate monitors work for you guys, I've never tried them and it hasn't really appealed to me to try one? Is it something to do when you get to a certain level/age? At 14 now I haven't had a problem with not using a heart rate monitor or foot pod. I find that if I am too far away from play I just run faster and if I am too tired and need a break I just give more free kicks :p

EDIT
just realised the grammar in this is really going to impress @DanCohen17

I agree with ASM that a good rinse of the strap after each use prevents the build up of salt within the strip which impacts on the signal. The other thing which I noticed impacted on the performance of the unit was the battery in the strap unit and also the watch. Although they worked together, sometimes the signal would lock out or flat line at a particular heart rate. Once I swapped out the batteries in both, their performance was spot on.

I have polar pro trainer 5 software with it very good if you know what your doing with it. I find it's not very easy to set up/use.

I still have no idea how to create training plans or even how it will help at my level. Plus the charts look really good and in can see where I have worked hard or the contrast in different leagues but again unless you know what your looking at the data is not of much use.

Any tips or advice on how to get the best results from the data Brian?

Steve, I found the website more helpful than then accompanying software. It does allow you to prepare training plans based on distance, calories burned, etc. As far as training is concerned, it is a reflective tool which helps you see how hard you are working and helping you realise that you are getting fitter by covering the same distance in a shorter time span, working at a higher intensity than you appreciate, etc.

Back